Ripper

Category: Monster

Commonality: Rare

Hazard Level: EXTREME

Descriptors: Similar to how one imagines an ancient Tyrannosaurus Rex, though with five-finger clawed hands, spikes along the spine, and lightly scaled skin

Magical Nature: Healing, Nullifying

Typical Geography: Dry climates, caves

The Ripper is a king among monsters, one of the most terrifying foes any could encounter. While not nearly as ludicrously strong as a Minotaur, they are unmatched in their speed and agility by any being of similar size. Close to as fast as a Pale, they are nearly unstoppable foes in close combat, and mages have difficulty fighting them due to their nullification magic.

The Ripper tends to nest itself into caves and go after other, smaller monsters and livestock animals for food. Because they can move so quickly and with such ease, they often travel far to hunt, going miles in any direction and effortlessly finding their way back. Their healing magic is believed to have something to do with their exceptional stamina.

Any lone adventurer cannot reasonably expect to fight such a beast and win. They have the strength of a dragon, are far faster, and cannot be bested by any direct magic, as they will cancel the spell before it reaches them. The best hope belongs to the mage, who can use their magic to alter the terrain to prevent the Ripper from chasing them and escape. No other loner can get away.

In battle, multiple warriors are necessary, and these warriors must be varied in strengths. Ideally, one will be larger and stronger with a heavy shield, to take the brunt of the attacks without being killed, while two others can move in quickly and strike the Ripper's weak points. Once weakened, it is vital to take it down right away, or it will escape and heal. It may even come back to find its attackers, and take revenge on them for harming it.

If you encounter a nest, you DO NOT ENTER. There will be several adults; an Alpha Male, several females, and young ones. The alpha male is often almost as strong as a Minotaur and still much faster, and cannot be bested in combat. The females will attack ferociously to defend their eggs and hatched young. 

All in all, avoid areas they are known to be in. Nothing is worth that much.