Healing Magic

Healing Magic is where the nature of magic begins to get more complicated. Now, we are not simply adjusting the use of energy or matter, we are fundamentally enhancing organic processes through means otherwise not possible. This lack of equitability to any physical process makes healing magic much harder to define and use. Adding energy to the healing process does not make it faster, nor does the presence of extra nutrients, so how exactly this magic works is still up for debate.

As the name suggests, healing magic fixes damage to organic beings. This is not some magical fix, though; the sacrifices are very real, often more serious, and incredibly expensive. A bone cannot simply be put back together. Like with natural healing, it must be rebuilt properly.

In a healing spell, energy and materials must both be utilized to give the body a greater healing capacity. In truth, this magical field is nothing more than a complementary aid to the body's natural processes. Your average healer is really just helping you to get better faster.

More advanced healers; the kind used in war and crisis situations; are the ones who can fix you up outright. With the correct materials and energy source, they can take what should be a permanent injury and fix it almost on the spot, usually at least bringing it to a point where the body can heal fully. Such healers are hard to train and the materials to enable this magic are incredibly expensive, so few can actually afford the costs. Even governments have to be careful how much they use them in war, as the necessary resources can run out very easily.

The materials typically required for such healing are blood, bone, marrow, sinews, tendons, muscle fibers, cartilage, and any other major bodily substance. Some of these are not easy to obtain, like the sinews for repairing an ACL tear. Enough must be sacrificed alongside an energy source to create the nature of the spell, and then more is required to actually be magically placed in the joint and tied back into the body to repair the injury.

In an effort to make up for the lack of doctors capable of this magic, some have created general-purpose or specific-use spell scrolls to provide healing aids to those who need them. The creation of these scrolls is even more complex than the spells themselves, as you now have enchantment involved, and they can cost upwards of dozens of gold pieces or even platinums if the injury is severe enough. These are typically only afforded by people who have health insurance that covers such injuries for their job.

Some less complex and typically preventative spells are used in chiropractics, tension release, and toxicity eliminations. These spells often require simple sacrifices, like muscle-relaxing agents or antivenoms. Many of these spells have been replaced by modern technologies and practices.

Spell examples:

-Repairing fractured bones, either hairline or outright breaks

-Reattaching a full limb (rarely attempted, even more rarely accomplished)

-Refractive Eye Correction

-Fixing cuts, scrapes, and bruises