Polytheism

Polytheism is more of a class of religion than a religion itself. Polytheists believe in the presence of many gods, each with a role, power, or authority over some plane of existence. These gods act as a sort of parliament or council, choosing how to run or change the world as they see fit. Many different sets of Polytheist gods exist in many regions of the world, but there are some things that remain relatively consistent.

There are two ways these systems play out; Primary gods with the main powers and their subordinates, or a set of fully equally powerful gods, each with a realm of power in some way. In both systems, lore often has the gods arguing and pulling wool over each others' eyes to get their way, and discussion and discourse is vitally important to these religious systems.

Followers of these religions often follow more ethical codes of living or local, older systems of morality, as the gods they worship are more about getting the things they need than anything else. Some religions value physical pleasure and treat it as holy, while others value accomplishment and achievement. They will pray to relevant gods to achieve these things, and hope that their gods smile on them.

It is difficult to write about Polytheism without getting into the details of many of these religions, so for more information, this text is insufficient as a Brief Encyclopedia.