Waldgeist

Category: Monster

Commonality: Uncommon

Hazard Level: NONE or EXTREME

Descriptors: Humanoid-appearing cluster of roots

Magical Nature: Elemental Wind, Healing

Typical Geography: Forests

These monsters are classified only as such due to their magical nature and typical dislike of intelligent species. They are guardians of the forests, seeking to maintain the sanctity of nature against destruction or intrusion. They prevent wildfires and arson, deforestation, and help to renew the land.

The reason they tend to be hostile to humans is that those who encounter them are often land developers. As the intelligent beings tear down trees, the Waldgeist will arrive to destroy the equipment the first time around. The second time, it will come to kill those who would intrude upon its pristine nature. The odds of fleeing in this situation are highly unlikely.

The only way to fight them is with fire, and plenty of it. Slashing them does nothing. Smashing them only causes them to grow back, and stronger. Even with fire, however, they will fight strategically, using shields of roots and bark to block flames, and will use underground roots to take their opponents by surprise.

Should you simply be a nature hiker however, and somehow happen upon one, it can be a marvelous experience. The few who have encountered them this way tell tales of being given food, water, guidance, precious gems, and more. For those who truly appreciate nature, the Waldgeist has many gifts to offer.