Chapter 15

After I read Rafael's email I folded it back up and put it in my coat. Quickly I took a piece of paper and a pen. 

I had to see Rafael. I didn't know yet what I would say, but I knew it was the best thing to do because the email sounded a little desperate and even though he didn't treat me right, he was still my brother and I didn't want anything to happen to him.

Dear Rose,

I'm so sorry I had to leave. What you said was true. I do still care about my brother after everything he did and I won't forgive him for what he did, but he deserves a chance to explain everything. I'm going to visit him and I promise you I'll come back.

I don't see you as a criminal. I see you as the person I love and that won't change.

I love you and I'll see you soon.

Your dearest, 

Luisa

I took all my stuff and called the number I saw Rose call the night we left.

The helicopter would probably take a while to get here, so I waited for when Rose would come back. But she didn't. She stayed away and I had to leave.

I grabbed my stuff and left the house. The helicopter took me to Port Kembla where I took a flight to Miami. Even though I was miles away from her, my thoughts kept wondering back to Rose and if she was okay, if she found the note I left her or if she even was home again. 

I took a cap and not much later we drove in the street of my old apartment. Everything looked exactly the same and even though I hadn't expected it to be any different it was strange.

I told the driver to stop, paid him and walked farther until I came at Rafael's house. It had only been a few weeks since I had last been here but it felt like I had been away for years. The garden was a mess. 

I walked upon the porch and knocked on the wooden, but modern door and not much later it opened. Rafael stood in front of me, his beard untended and his eyes red.

"Luisa. You're here." He said and cracked a little smile. He looked behind his back, inside the house and turned back around to face me again. "I would ask you to come inside, but it's a mess in there so maybe we should go somewhere else."

"Okay, sure." I said, still a little shocked by seeing my brother like this. I had never seen him like this and it hurted. I still wanted what's best for him and I thought he had that when I left.

He walked past me and went to his car, making me come with him. "I'm so glad you came. Did you get my email?" He asked and looked at me.

"Yes." I knew I should say more and tell him it wouldn't make up for everything he did, but I felt like it wasn't a good moment and figured I should wait until we got to a place we could talk easier.

He opened the car door for me and took a few papers out of the seat before I got in. Even his car was a mess. This really made me think about what had happened after I left. 

The car drive was more silent, except for a few moments were Rafael would say he was sorry and that I didn't deserve the things he did. It was all bullshit because we both know that when he gets Jane back he will get back to his old habits.

We went to the Marbella and the moment Petra saw Rafael she walked towards him.

"Here you are." She started. "I told you to come over because staying inside the whole day isn't good for you." She sounded concerned, but in a Petra way. She stared at him until her gaze fell on me. "Oh, Luisa. Hi, you're back." She said with a smile on her face and gave me a hug. "You've been gone for quite a long time."