14: Surprise

• cliffhanger.... I'm proud of that lol •

A few days later

The Forest has lost the beauty Y/N so admired. Snatcher stays in his house, snapping at anyone who disturbs him. He completely ignores any traps going off, not even bothering to replace them. He doesn't even care that he is slowly running out of food.

He only feels the huge hole in his chest.

Your POV

You flick the "Autopilot" switch, whizzing your chair around. Ever since you left, there's been a strange sense of sadness in your chest. You look at the small box Hat Kid gave you before you left. She said to open it when you miss her. No time like the present, you think, untying the ribbon and opening the box. As you see what's inside, your heart leaps.
It's a photo of Snatcher.
You stare at the photo, trying to make sense of the emotions filling your heart.
All of a sudden everything makes sense.
Why you miss him most of all.
Why you feel so furious when you think of Snatcher locked up in the cellar.
"I'm in love with him."
You turn back around, turning off autopilot and turning your ship around.
Full speed ahead.

Minion's POV

I hope Y/N comes back. Maybe then the boss would be happy again.
Until then, we should focus on keeping the Forest clean.
Hang on, whats this red string hanging here?
I should really get it dow-
Oh no!
Thats one of Moonjumper's puppet strings!
And now it's wrapping around me-
"HEELL-"
"Be quiet."
"..."
"Good. Now go to your boss. We need to talk."

Snatcher's POV

A minion staggers into the house.
"What do you want?" I snap.
"We want to talk."
My head snaps around. "Moonjumper."
"Bravo! I see you haven't completely lost your touch."
"Why are you here?"
"You see, I may be trapped in the horizon, but I'm not completely oblivious. I know what happened with the mortal."
"Oh wow. My other half knows how I'm feeling. How weird."
"Hilarious. Now, I must congratulate you on your outright stupidity. She will never return. Can't you see the only person who ever has, and will, love you is-"
"I know where you're going. No."
"Just come with me! We can reform the Prince and live happily ever after!"
"NO!" I yell. "DON'T YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING SHE DID TO US?!"
"She is the most wonderful person on Earth!"
"YOU CALL ME STUPID? SHE LOCKED US IN THE CELLAR AND LEFT US TO ROT!"
"You're making a huge mistake."
"Please. I already made the worst mistake possible. Now leave."
"This isn't goodbye!"
The minion faints, the red string falling to the ground.

Ding! Dong!

Trap, I think. What's the point? I may as well answer.

A few minutes earlier

You get out of your ship, amazed at the difference. The previously beautiful shades of black, blue and purple are dull, the Forest seems dimmer, and as you look over to the frost zone, you see a thick sheet of ice covering the gap in the bridge. Snow is slowly creeping outwards.
Surely it should have melted? you think.
You turn and start the trek to Snatcher's house.

Thorns spring up out of the ground and you inhale quickly.
Okay, guess I'm doing it like this, you think.
The Forest morphs into the familiar black abyss and purple sky and Snatcher pops out of the abyss.
"AHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA FOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!"
You swallow.
"YOU'VE BLOWN IT! YOU'VE TOTALLY SCREW- Oh. It's you." He folds his arms.
"Surprise. I'm back."
"I can tell. What are you doing here?"
"I know you're at me for leaving."
"Why would I be mad at you for leaving? It's completely your choice."
"How the peck am I even going to say this." You sigh. "When I was trapped in the Manor, Vanessa asked why her Prince would send his favourite contractor..."
"Where is this going?"
"....and when you gave me soul back, you seemed completely dejected. I didn't put the pieces together until no-"
"OH, I SEE," he yells. "YOU FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT! AND NOW YOU CAME BACK TO GIVE ME A HARD TIME ABOUT IT!"
"W-wait," you interrupt. "That's not wha-"
"WELL THEN WHY DID YOU COME BACK?! GO ON! SPIT IT OUT!"
"I-i like you, too!" you say nervously.
"You like me?"
He stares at you.
"Is this a joke?"

"No, it's not! See, when you rescued me, Hat Kid and I heard you yell at Vanessa. I know everything that went on between you, and I also know that now you're scared! You're scared of another relationship like the one you had with Vanessa! You're afraid to open up because you were hurt when you opened up before!
"You're afraid of love, and to love, because it wasn't love, it was an obsession!"
He opens his mouth.
"My point is that I know you're afraid to open up again. But I'm not Vanessa. Sure, it won't be easy. I couldn't completely kill the pain. But if you'd give me a chance, I could try to. I love you, and I would never hurt you."

Snatcher says nothing for a moment, before whispering "I love you too."
He shrinks down to your size and hugs you, the abyss disappearing. You hug him back, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

All of a sudden, the Forest seems beautiful again.

In the horizon, Moonjumper and Vanessa watch the girl arrive and enter the trap.
"She's returned!" snarls Vanessa.
"My queen!" Moonjumper tries to console her.
"You must avenge me." She turns.
"Of course, my queen."
"We will return. And he will become the Prince again."
"We shall not be stopped!"

Important note
I had no idea how to formulate the "confession" so I went to Deal Breaker (one of my whole inspirations for this tbh) and used the same "formula" I obviously changed it so it wasn't outright copying and also so it made more sense with what I've written.
:)