Chapter 10: The Account - Amy

Amy

Driving back to the scene of the crime, it's quiet here in the van. As I think about what has gone on, it's hard to believe we survived. We've all been through so much and we're exhausted but determined to find Vin and bring him home. Eve stayed behind with Paul at the federal building, but the rest of us, including my grandfather, came with us.

We had time to kill, so I started asking Sam some questions that have been weighing on me.

"Grandfather, how did you escape, and where have you been?" I ask and he smiles, then takes my hand.

He looks at my bracelet again and then looks into my eyes.

"Not far, believe it or not. I own several houses, one a few miles from here, the two houses on University Avenue where you and May lived, along with the house at the end of your street. I may not have been seen, but I was always there watching and trying to protecting you all." He explains and I look over to mom.

Hearing this, she is teary-eyed, knowing that her father was always nearby.

"Why didn't you ever tell me?" Mom asks.

Sam looks at her and then at me.

"For the same reasons, you never told Amelia about her father. I had to protect you from all of this corruption. Coming out of hiding would have helped no one, and then they'd know I was alive. It was safer to let everyone think I was dead. This way I could be behind the scene and fight them with the help of my own team. Sweetheart, I was never far from you. The night Amelia was taken, my men watched her and made sure she was safe. They tried to stop all of that, but Sara had you, and Mark had the authorities on his side. Then they sent you that terrible lawyer, George Willis, who set you up with that apartment in the projects. So I sent in the boys to guard you. I also had two of my men, pose as police officers to make sure Joe got to the cabin safely that night. That was another house I owned, back at the beginning. Once Walt died, I purchased it and had the A-frame cabin rebuilt. There are three men, who work for me, that have infiltrated the plantation as well. They are my eyes and ears, so I knew something was about to go down. Once Mark was murdered, I hoped Joe would go to the cabin to be safe, and thank God you did." He explains while looking at my dad.

He adds, "We called in fake sightings of you all around the world and they believed you were long gone. Then when you move to Pennsylvania and had Deedee come live with you, I was thrilled that May would get to know you both. She was a wonderful friend to me. May would contact me if you needed something, and I was devastated when she passed."

Dave smiles at Sam and it's amazing that all this time, we were never alone.

"We met once before, Amelia. Do you remember?" He asks, and I suddenly realize why he looked so familiar.

I exclaim, "You came to Mom and Dad's wedding. You gave me the envelope for mom. That was you, not Donald Millhouse!"

He nods and looks at mom.

She says quietly, "You came?"

Sam smiles and I am so shocked.

"Of course, I came. My daughter was getting married, and I was overjoyed you two had found a way to survive all of this and to thrive." Sam explains.

My mom can't believe her ears and seems thrilled to know her dad was there for her. He reaches for her hand and she squeezes his.

Dave says, "You're a fast runner. I chased you for blocks and you still lost me."