30

"You'll return soon, right?"

Rin's voice rang in her ears, her heart clenching at the fear that was in the child's voice, but she knew it needed to be done. Naomi and Sesshomaru left Rin in the care of Jaken, if she was harmed in any way by the time they return, Sesshomaru threatened to kill him, hell, Naomi did too. Tōtōsai needed to see that she was responsible enough to wield such weapons crafted by him, so he sent them in search of a demon with different abilities, but Naomi didn't know how facing the demon would prove her responsibility. Naomi let out a small sigh through her nose, her gaze forward as she walked alongside Sesshomaru, who said nothing, both of them were silent as they walked through the woods. She could feel her ears twitch every once in a while, listening to the sound of the smallest things, making sure there was no threat around them.

Sesshomaru was correct, her aura did change, Naomi could feel it and she could also sense if danger was close by, it was more amplified now. As her bare feet walked along the forest, Naomi could feel everything around her, life within the trees, movement within the dirt, her eyes could see the smallest insect that buzzed through the sky, which sometimes made her ears twitch. Lower ranked demons could feel them approaching, which caused some of them to screech to themselves, wanting to get as far away from them as possible, but it didn't bother Naomi and Sesshomaru. The dog demon seemed to be deep in thought, wondering what Tōtōsai had planned for the fox demon next to him, but he knew that she had to go through it on her own, he wasn't going to help her if she wanted those blades.

She stopped walking, which caused Sesshomaru to stop as well, turning to look at her, his expression blank, but he watched as her eyebrows furrowed slightly, her ears twitching as her head tilted to the side, she almost looked like a confused pup in his eyes. She let out a small hum, shaking her head slightly before walking once more, Sesshomaru doing the same, the two of them walking into a clearing, one that they needed to cross in order to get to their destination. In all honesty, the two of them were only following Tōtōsai's direction, they didn't exactly know where they were going, but she supposed it was all part of the test.

"Hotaru?" A male voice asked, hope in his voice

Naomi instantly stopped in her tracks at her mention of her mother's name, her heart clenching slightly, Sesshomaru looking at her as she closed her eyes, letting out a small breath through her nose as she slowly turned around, opening her eyes and looking at the man who said her mother's name. There were two of them, the older one was wearing a deep red kimono with black under armour, long black hair that was tied up, shoes, a blade resting on his left hip. The younger one looked to be around Naomi's age, but he was actually much older than her, wearing clothing similar to what Inuyasha wore, but it was all black, his hair was brown and his feet bare, a blade of his own resting on his left hip. But what caught Naomi's attention was their eyes, the color was matched perfectly, no one could ever have that deep color.

The man's eyes widened slightly, seeing the crescent moon that lay on her forehead, remembering that Hotaru had dark brown hair and not black, his eyes meeting a color that matched his own

". . . I know you" Naomi said softly "I've seen you before. Watching me from the trees. Hiding in the shadows"

"Akio" Sesshomaru said, causing Naomi to look at him

"Lord Sesshomaru" the man, Akio, replied "it has been some time since I've last seen you. Your mother is fairing well?" earning a small nod "good . . . Good" his eyes drifting back to Naomi

". . . You're Akio?" She asked, causing him to nod ". . . I read your letter"

"You must be Naomi?" He replied softly "where is your mother?"

"She was murdered" Naomi answered, getting tired of that question

"No" Akio said, shaking his head slightly, not wanting to believe it "no, she can't be. She -"

"Where were you?" She asked, cutting him off "you could have prevented it. Where were you?!"

"Other demons were after me" he explained "I had to get them away from you. From both of you"

"You could have stayed" she said "to protect us"

"I sensed my power within you" he replied "they wouldn't have stopped until they got what they wanted"

"One almost did" she responded lowly, causing him to stiffen "the same one who murdered my mother, the love of your life. If you really loved her, then you wouldn't have left"

"You're in pain" the other male said

"Shouto" Akio scolded, looking at him

"You don't know what I feel" Naomi said

"But I do" Shouto replied "you wish to kill the one who murdered your mother, you feel anger toward him. Sadness. Pain, most of all. That's all I have felt since that night. You don't have to do this alone, we can help you"

"I don't need your help" she said

"You do" Akio replied, his gaze turning to her "without proper training, your power will become out of your control"

"Naomi is being trained" Sesshomaru spoke up, gaining Akio's attention "by me"

"You know nothing of our kind, Lord Sesshomaru" Akio replied, respect in his voice

"You and my father were dear friends" the dog demon replied "staying in our home, training with him, fighting by his side in battle until his demise. I know everything about your kind, Akio. Naomi's training has begun, I assure you, but at the moment, Naomi has something that must be done"

Sesshomaru turned, walking away, Naomi staying in her spot, looking at Shouto for a moment longer,

". . . Brother" she said softly "but not the one I wish to kill. You're older than me" looking at Akio "and you claimed to love my mother"

Naomi reached into her shoulder bag, pulling out the letter that he had written, looking at it for a second before releasing it, letting it fall to the floor. She turned around, walking in the direction of Sesshomaru, who surprisingly slowed his pace to let her catch up, a slow breath emitting from her as she raised her gaze, looking forward, leaving Akio and Shouto behind. A hand reached down, picking up the letter, Akio letting out a small sigh through his nose, looking at his daughter as she walked away with the son of his best friend. He was hoping Shouto would be the first to befriend him, wanting it to continue through their family, but that wasn't the case, Akio glaring at the back of Sesshomaru, watching as they disappeared through the trees.

"Let's go, Shouto" Akio said, turning and walking in the opposite direction