×~✾ Chapter 44 ✾~×

“Oh man.” Katsuki groaned, falling back in the cockpit. “This baby purrs.”

“Are you getting turned on?” Eijirou teased through the headset.

“Fucking maybe, asshole.” Katsuki growled. “You don’t understand how long it’s fucking been-” He cut himself off. 

“Kat, I do though.” 

“Yeah.” Katsuki snapped. “I fucking know.”

Tower to Pilot, ready for take off?”

“Pilot ready.”

Please pull ahead to waiting line C.”

“Roger.” Katsuki eased the joystick forward. “Oh holy shit!” The jet leapt forward.

Tower to pilot. Please keep your vehicle under 36 kph until take off.

“I fucking know jackass.” Katsuki snapped.

Tower to pilot.

“Did he just sigh at you?” Eijirou cut in.

Please refrain from profane language while on public airwaves.”

“Roger.” Katsuki hissed through grit teeth, glaring down at his fist. “Easy baby. Let’s take this nice and slow. This is my first time with you and we don’t know what we’re doing with one another. Let me get to know you a little, Sweetheart-”

A gurgling noise came from Eijirou’s headset.

“You okay, Kirishima?”

“Yep.” The earpiece crackled. “Just fine.” 

“Okay good, cuz this might be a wait-”

Tower to pilot, please pull forward to take off strip 2.

“Oh, scratch that. I guess I’m used to…” Katsuki shook his head as he moved the plane forward, joystick edging down as he pushed the accelerator.

“Bigger, better things?” Eijirou teased from the back.

Katsuki snorted, lining the jet up. Feeling his body jittering, blood electrified. This was it. In a  few moments he would be airborne after months, months. Something in him rocketed forward, making his vision split.

“Fuck.” Katsuki whispered. “I don’t know if I can-” Suddenly he wasn’t breathing right. Wheezing.

Tower to pilot, take off in sixty.

“Kat, are you okay? You said your health certificate was fine… but-”

“I was fuckin’ cleared!” Katsuki snapped. “You were there when they let me in this stupid machine.” Gaze scanned the dials without really seeing, performing the regular checks out of habit. “Everything looks fine. Everything seems normal-”

“Stop talking about the plane, you ass.”

Tower to pilot and copilot, language please. Take off in 30 seconds. Is abortion needed?”

“Fuck. Off!” Katsuki’s grip tightened on the joystick. “I’m fucking fine. I’m fine. I can do this. I can-” But could he? Eyes darted. Arms shook.

For the first time he’d be flying without needing to escape anything… and what would that be like? Not needing to run away? Would he still feel as passionate? Would he still- And with Eijirou sitting behind him as he used to. A copilot again. 

Tower to pilot, skies are cleared for take off, please proceed.”

“Roger.”

And his hand tilted forward, shaking, and it was too late to think about whatifs because fuck that baby took off like a hot knife through butter.