lii. Convincing Pt. 2

Lucien and I had not spoken since I told him he had to think about what the consequences of him being with me were. I wish I had not done that, as I desperately wanted some support and reassurance before this mock-fight. But I did what I did for the right reasons and it was up to Lucien to come back to me if that was what he wanted.

Today I had the support of myself and of Daemon. It was by no means bad support, just not what I wanted. It was my fault though, so it was just going to have to do.

I was pacing around the courtyard to try and calm myself. For some reason a planned fight was making me more nervous than an unplanned one would. I suppose it was just nerves and the fact that I had more time to stress about what I was sure was going to be nothing.

"I understand being nervous because of Prince Oberyn's reputation, but there is no need to pace," Daemon said, pouring himself a goblet of water.

It was true that Oberyn had a fierce reputation when it came to battle. He had once been in a duel with one of the lords in Dorne and the lord succumbed to his injuries, despite the duel only being first to draw blood. Many believe he had poisoned his blade. Then he was unofficially exiled and many believe he learned more about poisons in Essos. At the same time, he fought with many sell-sword companies. He also spent time at the Citadel, but I was not sure what he learned there.

Daemon and I had planned for the whole poison issue. Well, Daemon had. He had bought a spear and kept it in his chambers. He even went as far as to let the tip of the spear soak in milk all night and then had washed it off in hot water this morning.

There was no reason for Oberyn to poison me, but we had to be sure.

Finally, the serving boy Daemon had sent to get Oberyn and Ellaria arrived with the two of them in tow. The boy scurried off almost as soon as he arrived. As for Oberyn, he seemed to be in good spirits. Ellaria, however, was watching Daemon and I with cold eyes.

Oberyn had his spear with him and I had Viserys' sword. It was similar to what I expect the match up between him and the Mountain to be. Except I do not have brute strength or a great sword. I have wits and a small frame.

"Are you planning to fight with a spear, my lady?" Oberyn questioned, raising an eyebrow at the spear Daemon had sitting next to him.

"No, that was all me," he spoke up. "I heard a whisper about you poisoning your weapons. I do not believe you would do that to Lady Stark, but I thought it best to be sure. You can keep it as a gift once this mock battle is done."

Ellaria took a seat beside Daemon while Oberyn and I remained standing. Oberyn dropped his own spear and took the one Daemon had bought. Other than that, no one moved or spoke for a few moments that felt like a few hours.

Oberyn was wearing light armour. If you could even call it armour. He was wearing a light breastplate and shoulder plates that were made of boiled leather.

I also wore light armour though. I had on traditional mens clothes - riding pants, a cotton shirt and light chainmail over my shirt. My hair was tied up in a braid to keep it from being in my face and for once I had no sword belt to hold my arakh, dagger and sword and no butterfly swords strapped to my thighs or hidden in my boots.

"So, how will this be done?" Oberyn asked.

"First to draw blood," I answered. "You are a prince and I have aspirations to return House Stark to Warden of the North. We are both too important to die."

"You have a lot of confidence, my lady," Oberyn commented. "There is no need for it. This battle will only last a few moments."

Daemon scoffed from beside me as I looked Oberyn dead in the eyes. I did not find any humour in his comments and I did not have the confidence to laugh to mock him. I just wanted him to know I was serious and even if it was just a mock battle to convince him to fight the Mountain, I was not going to lose without putting up my best fight.