Chapter 29

"Take me somewhere else Joe." I said while looking outside the window as we drive down the highway. 

"Any particular place you wanna visit in France?" 

"Just take me anywhere." 

Its almost sun down, one by one the street lights illuminated the highway. I could feel Joe's curiosity, like he wanted to ask me so much. I'm wondering too, if I should open up to him, its kinda embarrassing. 

---

"Hope. We're here." His voice gently woke me up. 

"Where are we?" I opened my eyes half-way. 

"We're in Loire."

"Its still in France right?" He chuckled. 

"Of course." When I opened my eyes I see bright lights everywhere. 

"Where are we exactly?" 

"We're at Loire Valley. Come on." He immediately got off the car and went to my side to open the door for me. When my vision became clearer, I was left in awe to see such place exist. 

"Its called the Chenonceau Chateau, or the Ladies' Chateu

"Its called the Chenonceau Chateau, or the Ladies' Chateu. It was built back in 1515, by the ladies in King Henry II's life. Some people say, there are legends that when people visit this place they find their true love." Joe passionately told a story while we were walking. 

"Have you been here? Do you believe it?" 

"Yes and I haven't found her I guess." 

Awkwardly we continued walking to enter the place, it is now a museum, it has a fancy restaurant and a gift shop. 

"I think there's a light show outside by the river." We walked to the garden side of the palace, the river displayed a perfect reflection of the the palace. 

"Should I get you a table for two?" A waiter approached Joe. He immediately looked at me. 

"Do you wanna eat?" 

I smiled and replied, "sure". 

The waiter got us a perfect seat that has a good view of the palace when it lights up. Not too close and not too far away. After we sat calmly, I took a deep sigh - live violinist playing in the background, the chirping of night flies, and the cold breeze, it all felt so sad. Tears are welling up in the corner of my eyes, no matter what I do, it hurts. 

The light show began and the palace illuminated, it was all so magical. No matter how fulfilling it is to watch, my heart is aching, my limbs are getting numb, I want to cry but it feels like I ran out of tears. 

"Will you be okay to stay and wait for the food?" Joe held my cold, shaking hand. I grasped for air before speaking. 

"Yea I guess. Thanks." He smirked and continued watching but he was still holding my hand. 

"Thank you Joe." 

"For what?" 

"For just being here. Actually, for always being there for me." I don't even know what I'm saying. 

"I want you to know that, sometimes its okay to not be okay. Its okay to feel sad, to cry, cause it does not make you weak. It only means you have been strong for so long. Stop beating yourself up." 

"Have you ever loved someone so much it hurts?" His face turned pale; he bit his lips, looked down, let go of my hand, then took a deep breath. 

"Yes." 

"How long did it take you to heal?" 

"Still in progress." He looked at me and our eyes met - this happen so often. 

The show ended and we didn't even realized, our eyes were locked to each other - but suddenly the waiter came with our food. I felt uncomfortable and uneasy after five whole minutes of getting lost in his eyes. My heartbeat was slow and calm, its still that familiar feeling I always get whenever Joe looks at me. 

We ate quietly, the violinist continued playing mellow songs in the background, and other than that, the only noise were soft murmurs of other tourists. 

---

"Do you wanna ask something?" We were walking back to the car and he still seemed like he wants to ask me something. 

"What happened?" Of course he's curious about our story. 

"His mother and my Uncle." 

"Oh, the wedding." I nodded. 

"So why did you go?" He asked.

"Its complicated." 

"How long were you guys together?" That question hit me. I tried recalling; were we even together, or were we just dating? Is that the same? We kiss, we go out, we hold hands, is it considered a relationship even without asking me officially? 

"One month or so. I lost track." 

"You invested that much in one month?"

"Was there a rule?" He giggled a little, but it made me smile - a little too. 

"Hey you smiled!" He noticed of course. 

We got in the car and he turned on his radio to play one of his mix tapes. 

"I saw your uploaded song in MAI's page. I hope you don't mind, I downloaded some, because they were good. Not because I like you or anything." He kinda sounded defensive, I haven't even said anything. 

"Which song?" 

"Did you mean every word?" Joe teasingly asked as he starts the car. 

"Of course." 

"So did you risked another good bye?" 

"No. Because just like the first one, didn't get the chance to." 

"Then maybe its not meant for good byes." 

"Or maybe, we're just not meant for each other." I replied a little cheerfully.