Chapter Twenty-Eight: Lions and Badgers and Wolves, Oh My!

I stormed out of the room, tears flowing down my face. I couldn't believe what had just happened. I couldn't process. Was he breaking up with me? How could I have been so stupid as to let all of my walls down. I went to the great hall, hoping to drown my sorrow in food. As I took my first bite out of a turkey leg I saw Eric and Katie walk in. I managed to fake a smile as they sat down.

Katie practically ran over to me, "Why are you here, I thought you were spending all day with your Slytherin boy-toy?"

"So did I."

Her eyes contorted in anger "Do I need to fight someone?"

I shook my head and took another bite of my turkey leg. I looked up at the teacher's table but Remus wasn't there, but I still felt a pit in my stomach. "I'm guessing you told Eric everything?"

"Ya, I did. Sorry."

"It's fine." I paused, "Where's Tyler?"

"We lost him about halfway through the day." Eric said.

"So Viv, what happened, why aren't you with your boyfriend."

"I don't even know if I have a boyfriend anymore." I said, my voice breaking as emotions took over.

"Oh, Viv." Katie reached for my hand but I pulled away.

"I don't want to talk about it. I just-" I burst into tears. I couldn't be here right now. I stood up and ran out of the Great Hall. I ran until I found an empty classroom, and slumped down at a desk. A few minutes later I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"I said I don't want to talk about it Katie."

"Guess again."

I spun around quickly to see Annie standing behind me.

"Hi." I said, my eyes wide.

"Hi." She paused for a moment, "What's wrong?"

"Everything." I cried.

"I know the last time you saw me it was late and you were drunk but I really hope that you meant what you said. That you are ready to talk, because I am. And maybe we can make up and then it won't be quite everything that's wrong." She said smiling but I could see tears well up in her eyes as she continued. "I am so so sorry Smudge. Those things that I said to you were horrible. I didn't mean them, I was just hurt and I wanted you to hurt too. And I was stupid, and petty, and-"

I cut her off, standing up and throwing my arms around her. "I'm so sorry too. I way overreacted about you talking to Lupin, you were just trying to look out for me and I probably would have done the same thing if roles were reversed. And then I did the same thing you did, I was so hurt and I wanted to hurt you because I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry and I didn't mean what I said. I'm sorry I didn't visit you when you got hurt."

"I'm sorry I didn't visit you! And I'm so sorry about what I said about Black and oh God, I've hated myself for saying what I did about Trish. Everything got so out of hand so quickly!"

"I know! Then it just kept building and I didn't know how to stop it or how to make it right so I just made it worse and I am so sorry!" Now we were both crying too, our faces buried in each others' shoulders.

"I've missed you so much, you're my best friend and I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry."

"No, I'm the idiot. You are my best friend and I swear I will never let a boy come between us again, and I'll try to listen more to your advice because you know me better than anyone else!"

"I swear I will never use Trish against you again, that was the worst thing I've ever done in my life and I won't even say her name again if you don't want me to!"