24 - fight

the teacher droned on and on about equations that half of the class didn't even understand. not a thing she said was sinking into ethan's head. he was far too busy focusing his attention on the boy sitting next to him. he looked so...sad. lonely. ethan looked over at the boy further down the table: greg. he rolled his eyes and sighed, placing his head in his hands. ethan wanted to speak to sean but he was worried about the bully beside them over hearing. but this lesson could possibly be his only chance to say something.

ten minutes later, the teacher left the room to get some worksheets from the printer in the hallway. this was it; his chance. ethan sighed and took one last look at greg to see if he was paying any attention. he was too busy chatting to his friends.

"i heard about what happened with felix..." ethan began, knowing what to say but not really knowing how to put it.

"in gym?" sean asked. ethan was surprised he got a response.

"yeah. i'm sorry he yelled at you." ethan wasn't all too sure if sean said anything, but he did hear him mumble something.

"where were you at break?" ethan asked, intrigued. sean turned to ethan with a look in his eyes the boy didn't recognise. 

"why do you care?" ethan couldn't help but roll his eyes. sean noticed, but didn't say anything.

"you sound like felix..." sean didn't give any sort of response, but it hurt him to be compared to his ex boyfriend.

"seriously, where did you go? i got worried."

"really?" sean's question wasn't sarcastic, it sounded sincere, as if he had doubts that ethan still cared about him.

"yes, of course! i didn't see you at all."

"well...i was just in the toilets."

"what were you doing in there fag? sucking someone off?" fucking greg. ethan found himself in a state of panic in which he didn't know what to do. he didn't know what to say. all he did know is that if he said something it would probably get him killed.

"yeah. ask your dad if you don't believe me." sean replied. ethan very nearly giggled at the comment but had to be quiet; he didn't want to get in trouble with greg. 

"you're a cocky bastard, you know that?" sean must have realised that if he continued it could have led to him getting punched in the stomach again, so he didn't respond. but greg didn't want to shut up.

"you realise that without your friends you're worthless now? nobody's gonna like you. nobody's gonna take interest in you. you'll just become one of the losers that has no one to talk to. even your boyfriend's gonna ditch you at some point." greg gestured to ethan when he made that comment.

"in fact, i'd go as far as to say that nobody's even gonna care that you're alive. some people don't give a shit right now. so if i were you, i'd take my advice when i tell you that maybe you should...shall we say...follow in your father's footsteps?" greg and his friends let out monstrous laughs and cackles. ethan was confused by greg's last remark, but he decided not to focus on that.

"sean...don't listen to-" ethan didn't even get to finish his sentence as sean suddenly punched greg in the face, causing him to fall backwards in his chair. the fallen boy let out cries of pain as his friends glared in a sinister manner at greg's attacker. the whole class was facing the scene, observing what was going on. greg slowly began to stand up, wobbling a little as he did so.

"i'm gonna kill you. i'm gonna fucking kill you!" he screamed, causing other students to gasp. the angered boy lunged towards sean, attempting to grab him by the throat whilst mostly everybody in the classroom chanted 'fight! fight!'. sean pushed greg back into his seat, and before greg could make another attempt, sean in a fit of rage grabbed his pen and stabbed it right into greg's thigh. 

the whole class fell silent. even greg and his friends didn't say a word for a few seconds. nobody in that room could believe what sean had just done. not even sean himself. ethan sat staring at the scene in horror, the sight of a pen in the bully's thigh making him a little bit queasy. mark, tyler, felix, bob and wade sat at the back of the classroom with their jaws on the floor. 

the shock faded and greg let out a blood curdling shriek. he couldn't even speak; all he could do was yell. his friends sat and stared, not knowing what to do. ethan was shaking. he was scared. he was scared of sean. 

the teacher entered the classroom, but nobody paid any attention to her. they just continued to gaze at sean and greg.

"what's going on?" she boomed, already getting annoyed. greg stood up and groaned in pain, pointing at his thigh. that's when the teacher noticed the pen.

"what-who-whe...what on earth has happened?!" people began pointing at sean, one by one, and soon enough everybody was. everybody except for ethan.

"him...h-he did t-this...h-he st-stabbed me with the p-pen!" greg winced in pain as he spoke.

"you...you did that? are you a lunatic?!" the teacher screamed, aiming her question at sean. the boy didn't reply and instead just stared at her, aloof. 

"i'm calling first aid, don't worry greg." she calmed down a little as she spoke to the injured boy. when she was finished talking, sean bent down and grabbed his bag, putting his stationary inside before swinging it over his shoulder. he walked away from his table and began making his way towards the classroom door.

"where the hell do you think you're going?!" the teacher yelled again, but sean was still unbothered.

"i'm going home." was all he said. going home? there was no way they'd just let him leave the school grounds, surely. 

"excuse me?" the teacher asked coldly.

"i'm going fucking home!" and with that sean left the classroom, slamming the door shut behind him.