03. Run Boy Run (Part One)

The dinner bell chimed and the Hargreeves children entered the dining room in number order. They stood at the designated spot, awaiting their father's arrive. Sir Reginald entered the room and stood at the head of the table. Vanya and Madelina were at the opposite end. Allison was to the right of their father, Klaus and Ben to her left. Luther, Diego and Five were to the right of their father.

Sir Reginald looked between the eight children. "Sit."

The children did as instructed and began eating.

Madelina picked at her food. She wasn't particularly hungry.

Sir Reginald frowned. "Number Seven-and-a-half, it's rude not to eat your dinner."

Madelina put her fork down and pursed her lips. "I'm not hungry."

"Eat."

She leaned back and crossed her arms. At times, she got in a stubborn mood, and she was certainly feeling stubborn.

Five stabbed a knife into the table and pulled his hand away, glaring at their father.

"Number Five?" Sir Reginald asked.

Five spoke in his normal sarcastic tone. "I have a question."

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules. No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

"I want to time-travel."

"No."

Five's eyes narrowed. "But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He stood and spatial jumped to their father's chair. "See?"

Madelina was the only one who was still intrigued. She always appreciated when their father was challenged, and Five seemed to be the king of doing so.

Sir Reginald turned to Five. "A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time-travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and appearing as an acorn."

Five frowned. "Well, I don't get it."

"Hence the reason you're not ready." He took a sip of his drink.

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five glared and turned as he walked away.

"Number Five," Sir Reginald called. "You haven't been excused!"

Madelina stood up and Sir Reginald yelled, "Number Seven-and-a-half!"

She ran up to Five and grabbed his wrist. "Wait. Where are you going?"

"Madi, I can't be here. I need to test what I can do."

"But Five..."

"I'm sorry, Madi. Do me a favor. If I don't come back, find a good guy, have a kid or two. You deserve it."

"Five, I'm nowhere close to that."

"I know. But I don't know how long I'll be gone. Promise me, Madelina."

She nodded, knowing he was serious. He only called her by her full name when he was serious.

"You will be back soon, though, Five. I know you will."