Five and Madelina

Madelina watched as Five spatial jumped across the room. He had a habit of doing that, and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't jealous.

Five walked into the kitchen and found Madelina sitting at the table drinking a cup of cocoa.

He smiled when he saw her. "Hey, Madi."

She looked up from her cup, keeping it close to her lips. "Hi, Five."

He sat next to her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "I'm fine."

Five narrowed his eyes. "That's bullshit, and you and I both know it."

Madelina chuckled softly. "Don't let Mom or Dad hear you say that."

His lips curled into a small smile. "Yeah, Mom really wouldn't like that. Dad wouldn't care. Do you want a sandwich?"

"A peanut butter and marshmallow one? Yes, please."

Five stood and nodded. "Okay. I'll make one for you and then we're gonna talk."

"There's nothing to talk--"

"Madi, you and I both know that's not true."

She sighed. "Okay, fine. Sandwich and talk."

Five made the sandwiches and handed one to Madelina before sitting next to her. "What's going on? You've been quiet and distant."

She raised an eyebrow. "I've always been quiet and distant."

"No, you're more quiet and distant. Come on, Madi. Talk to me."

She looked down. "I, uh, I just--I wish I wasn't ordinary. You all can mostly do cool things and Vanya and I are just ordinary. We're nothing special."

"Madelina, you know that's not true. You may be ordinary, but like Ben, you're the glue that holds us together. You're incredibly special and I wish you could see that."

Madelina sighed. "Yeah, well, tell that to Dad."

"What has he told you exactly?"

She avoided his gaze as she said quietly, "He told me I wasn't anything special. That I was nothing."

Five stared at her, shocked. "He told you that?! I'm gonna talk to him."

"Five! Stop. It won't do any good. Dad's gonna be the way he is."

"Madi, that's not normal for a dad to say."

"What about our lives is normal?! You can spatial jump around. Diego is crazy good with knives. Luther's super strong. Allison can manipulate a mind with one phrase. Ben turns into a tentacle monster. Klaus speaks to the dead. And me and Vanya are just ordinary; nothing special, never have been, never will be."

"Madelina, listen to me. You're gonna do something amazing when you grow up. Maybe you'll be a famous singer. And if that ever happens, I'll be at every performance."

She smiled in amusement. "Every performance? That's possibly quite a lot."

"Yeah, well, I've got to make my sister feel loved."

"Who are you and what have you done with Five?"

Five shrugged. "What can I say? You twins are the only two I can really tolerate. The others are pretentious assholes."

Madelina giggled softly. "Yeah, they really are. Thank you for this, Five."

He nodded. "You're welcome. And next time, don't keep it all buried inside, okay? I'm here to talk if you need to."

"No matter how stupid or simple you deem it?"

"Anything, Madi."

She hugged her brother and smiled. "You're the best, Five. Thank you. And thanks for the sandwich."

"Anytime, Madi."

Madelina stood and walked to her room, needing some time alone to think about her brother's words.