XX. The Reason

Meg

"One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight! Stop!" Halle yelled to the whole cheer team, raising her hand.

"What are you doing?" She walked towards one of the freshmen beside me and looked down on her. The poor girl didn't have a word to say.

"What do you think you are, a spaghetti? I don't have time for your flimsy moves." She insulted in front of everyone. That's the first one.

"We've been doing this routine for a week." A senior decided to speak up.

"That's because you can't perfect it. Now move!" And she started to count again while walking back to the front.

I took a glance of the freshman and she looks like she's about to cry but she's doing better than she ever was before.

"It's been a week and she is becoming bitchier and bitchier everyday." The junior on my other side murmured, "What, does she have her period or something?"

I decided not to answer her question. Instead, I walk towards Halle, "I need to talk to you."

She rolled her eyes before facing the team, "Training tomorrow and addition to the routine. If you're late or absent, you're out of the routine."

"What do you want?" She walked towards the bleachers so I followed her.

"Stop pouring you anger to the team. It's no use." I told her.

"Why not, it's what everybody thinks of me already. Even you." She said which made my mouth slightly gape.

"Just.... take my advice. Hear me out this time." I was about to walk away when she answered.

"Why should I? You didn't hear me out last time. Or ever." She raised her brows. "Please don't bring it up again." I plead.

"Stan's presense was the only one I felt beside me everyday. But then, of course I should've had expected that he's a jerk like everybody else. That he would leave me just like you did." She explained.

"That's no reason for you to blurt it all out on everybody who's pissing you. They don't deserve your anger." I answer back.

"And I deserve less than that with you shutting me out." She turned her back on me to grab her gym bag.

"What do you expect? That I would do sleepovers with you after you killed my dad-" There wasn't anybody in sight when I exploded.

"He was going to kill you!" She cut me off, "I saved you. And what did I get in return, huh? Let me enumerate. Talking shit behind my back with your little squad? Trying to destroy my reputation?"

"I never talked behind your back. And you did that to your own reputation." I answered in a low voice before adding, "He's my family."

A tear fell out of her eye. She smirked, "He was never your family. I know you more than he ever did, Megan."

She swung her bag on her shoulder, "He never loved you. I did." And right there she left.

I didn't feel a thing. Everything ran through my mind. But my eyes were pooling already.

Flashback...

Papa's in the hospital today having his monthly check-up.

It was really wrong timing considering that today's the day that my dad's gonna be bailed out of jail.

Good thing, Halle's with me to stay by my side.

We're inside a cab and not one of us were talking so I decided to be the one, "How are you, d-dad?"

The presinct said that he wanted to come home with his daughter than anyone else.

Papa didn't want to agree considering that my father left me and my mother and then he'll just go running to me after my mom dies. But he thought of me so he allowed it for a day as long as we'll get him to a rehab on the next.

"Fine." He answered without looking at me at all.

Halle, who's at the shotgun took a glance at the side of her seat to look at me.

The time we got home, I made him follow me to the kitchen to get him something to eat or drink while Halle went to the bathroom.

I was pouring a glass of water when I heard Halle shout my name.

I looked at her but the view I caught was my father falling to the ground and Halle in front of him.

"What did you do?" My hands were covering my mouth when my eyes went to the floor with a knife on it.

But I never focused on the knife.

I have never concentrated on the fact that he was about to stab me that day.

The only thought in my mind since then was the action done by my bestfriend.

Not the reason why it was done.