XXXV. The Surprise

Halle

I woke up, not seeing anyone in the house. It's been like this for almost a month, I haven't seen Red even at school. I would, maybe, once a week or something.

What's his deal now?

Wearing my cheer uniform, I got in the car which my brother doesn't even use. He uses the motorbike, that's another weird thing about him at the moment.

Nothing changed with school or any of the classes. I still don't bother getting any of them.

"Hey, have you seen Red around?" I asked Meg while she's busy changing inside the locker room.

She immediately answered that she hasn't.

"Well, I just figured since you're friends with Sol and all." I explained which surprised her.

"Sol and Red? Are you serious?" She laughed.

I've seen them a couple of times in one room and the way he looks at her, I know for sure because I'm basically his other half.

"You have any plans on spring break?" She asked. I guess I haven't thought of that. Two weeks from now and we have another vacation.

"Maybe I can go to Europe." I half joked. I can't because I would run out of places to go to. I still have about an infinite ages to plan where I'm going.

"You can go with us. It'll be fun." She suggested.

"Who's the us?" I asked.

"It depends. But I'm sure of Robyn and Soleil. We can have a girls' trip, what do you say?"

"Alright, but you gotta go ask them first." It's obvious that I don't get along with those two, especially Robyn. I admit, I used to envy her when she hanged out with Meg right after our break-up.

Practice went on.

"She's really in a lighter mood since the year started. New year's resolution, is it?" I heard two juniors from the team having a conversation.

I don't get it. When I'm a bitch, they complain. But when I'm like this, they still complain? What do they want? I just slept for decades and this happened to women's attitude?

After practice, I sat down on the bleachers to observe the basketball team. Competition season has been done already but training's still a big thing but Red is skipping it.

"What's with you, bro?" I whisper to myself.

"Hey, I'm going now." Meg bidded.

"Okay, bye." I planned to stay to ask the basketball coach about Red.

"Bye. Love you!" She shouted meters away from me, with a flying kiss.

When I looked at the team again, they were having a shooting practice thingy. The current player had shot it perfectly. He walked to the back of the line again, so I got a clearer view of his face.

Zack.

"Has Red been to training lately?" I asked him instead of their coach.

"That's what you have to ask me?" He asked, smiling confused.

"What else is there to ask?" I asked, rasing my brows.

"Something like: Zack, can we go out on date?" He laughed.

"Seriously?" Our conversation is full of questions, what the hell.

"No, I haven't seen him. Coach is even mad but he doesn't seem to care anymore." He answered now, serious but still smiling.

"Okay. Thanks." I said before walking out of the court.

"I'm still gonna wait for that question!" He shouted which embarrased me. He could've just whispered it, it's not like I'm not gonna hear it.

"Dream on!" I shouted back which earned him an 'ooohhh' from the other players and that made me laugh.

When I went home, I found Red sitting on the couch.

"Wow, I thought you were never coming home." I said, sitting across him.

"I had some business to do." I waited for him to add on to that but there was nothing.

"And what might that be?" I added some whispering tone, sarcastically adding suspense.

"I did some digging on Sol." He wasn't finished but I already interrupted him, smirking, "You mean, stalking?"

He didn't care and just continued on what he was gonna say so I just sighed.

"I saw some papers with the Perturbateurs. They had a copy of her first adoption certificate and a birth certificate." He said and it just got weirder.

"Her surname, I heard it before. I didn't believe it at first but when do I fail to prove myself, right?" He even had the guts to brag.

"Okay, moving on?" I said, getting bored with his stalking story.

But it got my attention when he said,

"She came from a family of Alphas."