III. The Cheerleader

It turns out that my second day is twin day at school. Nobody even bothered to inform me about this Spirit Week thing. What is the difference of last week anyways?

And I'm the only one wearing a flannel over a cropped turtleneck paired with some joggers. Why did I have to pick the most uncommon outfit for this day again?

Everybody else is beside each other pretending to be twins.

"Hey, Lei!" A hip hop voice had called. I turned to see the voice and saw Kevin and Rob, apparently twinning, in their baggy jacket and pants.

"Don't ever call me that again." I warn.

"Who's your twin?" Rob asks which got her the fakest smile that I unconsciously lent.

"That would be me." And that made my smile drop when I looked at Meg beside me.

She is wearing the same clothes as me, only her flannel's blue and mine's red and her top's white while mine's black. And that, even for me, is really creepy.

"Were you stalking me this early morning?" I asked half-joking. I mean, that is the only way she could set matchies with me, without me knowing.

"It's sixth sense, baby." We started walking while I still process that. My overthinking was replaced with confusion when Taffy passed us beside the hall.

"Didn't she see us?" I ask.

"Oh, we broke up. Yesterday. Dare only, remember?" she shrugs.

"Where is Zack?" That's another question from me.

"He's training. There's a game tomorrow." Rob answers. "And speaking of, are you interested in those?"

"I would rather stay at home, honestly." I casually respond.

"Really? No looking for cute guys and all?" She asks, again.

"Come on. You still have to support me. Forget Zack." Meg exaggeratedly says.

"Sure. We're gonna support you catfighting with Halle." Kevin says before looking at me, "Hotties fighting is way more interesting than basketball."

"Last year, she hadn't joined the cheer performance because her blood boi- Ow." Rob suddenly winced before stretching her neck.

"Hmm...." Meg smiled widely, "You know Rob and metaphors. I just fired back because she almost broke my bone during practice. You know cheerleading."

I wish my problems were this small. Just living the high school life and facing mean girl dramas.

"I was planning to go dress shopping for tomorrow." Rob pouted. "And that's why there are no classes on Thursday." Meg defended.

"And I'm out of this conversation." Kevin walked away from us.

"I won't go on Friday." I blurted out.

"WHAT?" They yell in my each of my ears and face me in chorus.

"I have to go visit my hometown." I reason out. "That's a shame." Rob pouted once again.

Friday's the most awaited day, apparently for these students. For some, they would only go through high school for the dance. In favor of my not-so-usal-high-school-life, it's not exactly TGIF for me.

The bell rang, time for the class.

"See you later, twin." Meg threw a flying kiss before waving goodbye.

I had to go to the washroom before going to class. There wasn't a single person in the hallway on my way to my side of the building.

Or so, I thought.

I know that smell. That was the smell of my signal when I had to move to another town. That's the smell that I'm trying to avoid.

And yet, it's catching up to me.

I turned right, out of the way to my classroom, to follow the scent.

It's blood.

After a minute of walking, the smell got closer.

From the floor, my eyes went up to the person standing in front of me in a blink of an eye.

Exactly the same height as me, wearing a sweatshirt with the school name covering the top of the paired cheer outfit, It's Halle.

She lifts her arm that's holding a flyer, "Are you good enough to join the cheer team?"

I raise my brow before answering, "Sorry, I'm not into uniforms."

She narrows her eyes before it travelled to my neck, "I like your necklace."

My own eyes went to the necklace that she was referring to. The most valuable thing that I should hold onto, as to my own life.

She walks towards the direction that I came from when I suddenly remembered that I have a class to attend to.

What am I doing here anyways?