XXVI. The Club

Sol

Two knocks on the my bedroom door and I opened it to see Carla smiling with her apron and a paddle spoon, "I made lasagna."

That was kind of unusual but I'm hungry.

I sat down on the kitchen nook and smelled the food which literally made my tummy growl and Carla heard it.

"I didn't know you cook." I said while serving myself a piece of the pasta. "Well, you can judge." She laughed and looked at me.

"Didn't you say you were looking for a job?" I asked and she looked kind of surprised by my question.

"Uh, yes, I did." She answered while slicing herself some of the lasagna.

I just stared at her waiting for more answer.

"I'm a waitress at Cafe Julita." She added.

"Kevin's mom owns that." I told her.

"Your friend?" She asked.

"Yea." I simply answered while getting my first bite of lasagna.

"Just your friend?" Her repeated question made me look at her in confusion and suspicion before I ate what's on my fork.

The taste was really familiar. But then again, I've tasted a lot of food from a lot of different places cooked by different people.

"You'll be promoted as a cook in no time." I complimented her which made her smile out of praise.

"Nah. I'm better watching over you." She replied which, again, made me very confused before she added, "Watching customers and taking orders."

"By the way, Christmas is approaching." She changed the topic.

"Yea." I answered shortly.

"What are you planning?" She seemed enthusiastic in asking.

I raised my shoulders for a second, "My.... friends are planning on celebrating together at Julita. You can join if you want to. Meg's bringing her grandfather."

She just nodded before the phone rang and it startled her. I finished my lasagna while she answers the phone.

When she went back, she came with furrowed brows, looking at the food on the table.

"It's for you." Her expression shifted from happy to serious. I stood up from my seat and went to the phone.

"Who's this?" I asked from my line.

"It's me. Rob. Listen, we need your help like right now, now." She said fastly, almost rapping her words.

"We?" I asked.

"Yes. We'll explain later." There she goes again with the 'we' that I don't feel good about.

"Okay. Where?" I asked before she ends the call forgetting that very information.

"Uhh...." From our conversation, this is the slowest line that she's said, "Dakotas' place."

Both brows of mine raised. So she needs help and she's in Red's house.... again. And now, I'm pretty sure now that the 'we' I don't feel good about involves him.

"Going out." I told Carla before leaving.

I rode my bike to the Dakotas' and sighed before knocking on the door.

Rob opened it and it revealed three people. Red, Stan, and her. "Come in?" She welcomed carefully.

I went straight to the sofa and spread my arms on the backrest looking at them and waiting for an explanation. None of them talked until almost two minutes later when Meg came inside the house.

"Hey," She looked at us one by one before asking, "What's going on?"

Right again, no answer until Zack arrived with the most confused look ever while exploring the house with his eyes. Looks like someone's a first time here.

"Are you forming a club or something?" I finally asked.

"This ain't no breakfast club but I definitely feel like I'm watching a movie." Rob chuckled and sat on the arm rest of the single couch.

"We need your help." Red started and it was obvious that it was very hard for his ego to say that in front of us.

"If this is History homework, I'm out." Zack said, half-joking, and slightly hoping that it actually is about that but it's not according to his next line.

"Your powers, actually." He licked his lower lip before looking at me who has the highest brow raise ever. Where is this going?

"And I'm officially out." Zack said but before he could take his second step towards the exit, Stan was in front of him.

"No, you're not." He told him, chin up.

"Says who?" Zack crossed his arms.

"Says Halle who's been captured."

"Wait, what?" Meg immediately reacted.

"Captured by who?" I asked.

"Perturbateurs." Red answered.

Zack sighed heavily, "What's the plan?"