Chapter 32

[ Levi's POV ]

1 month.

People had made most of the repairments that needed to be done around town, so the street market was up and running once again. Passing by people whose faces only seemed blurry to me, I made my way to the tea stall as usual. When I bought some of my preferred tea, I returned back to the HQ.

I sat down on a chair, waiting for the water to boil, when someone approached me from behind. I turned around and my eyes met, surprisingly, with Eren's.

"Captain Levi, I wanted to ask you about Captain (y/n)'s condition. Anything new?"

"Nothing new." I replied, turning my back on him.

"I see.."

"Oi."

"Y-Yes!"

"Thank you. For saving her." I said, my back still facing him.

"I didn't do anything really! I just hope she wakes up soon.." he murmured before leaving.

I simply hummed back.

I poured the boiling water in my cup of tea and started stirring it, slowly starting to zone out.

I'm starting to feel empty again aren't I? About time..

Our memories crossed my mind. The bad, but most importantly, the good ones. I missed everything about her. She brightened my life by playing with different colors so that she would see which ones suited me the most. But without her, my life was slowly becoming dull. Rather, returning back to its previous color. Gray.

Funny isn't it? Even humanity's strongest soldier couldn't save the one he loves most.

I kept visiting her daily, cleaning the room that she was currently in, drinking tea next to her. Sometimes I would fall asleep sitting on the floor next to her.

It reminded me of my childhood in the undergrounds. Waiting for my mother to wake up. It terrified me to even think about it. Were the two people I love most going to have the same fate?

I felt like she needed company, but in reality I was the one who needed it the most. It was painful to look at her though. She has lost her colors. Maybe if I still had mine, I would be able to give them to her.

Maybe...

"Your tea is going to get cold."

"Hange? What are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you."

I let out a deep sigh and drank slowly from my cup, tasting the bitter flavor of the tea.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm tired."

We both remained silent for a bit.

"Ed wanted to apologize for his behaviour. He wasn't feeling comfortable with talking to you directly though, neither was Isaac. Those two never change huh?" she chuckled before changing her expression to a softer one. "You know, her heart is starting to beat a bit faster."

My chest felt funny. Excited, almost. Hange stood up and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You can talk to me shorty! Erwin too! Come join us for some tea later will ya?" she grinned.

"Tsk. You're so annoying."

"That's the spirit!" she exclaimed before leaving the room.

My eyes drifted to the cup once again.

"Oh?"

I tilted my head to the side and saw Ed with Isaac following from behind.

Tsk. What is with people appearing out of nowhere..

We didn't say anything to each other, though, the tension between us was undoubtly there. Surprisingly, Isaac grabbed a chair and sat in front of me, offering me a piece of bread.

"Eat it. You need it more than I do." I said.

He kept looking at me with those blue puppy-eyes of his.

"Tsk."

I took the bread and placed it on top of the table.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking straight at that moment. It was rude of me." murmured Ed, saluting right after.

I sighed deeply. Standing up, I put both of my hands on top of their heads and ruffled their hair.

"No need to be so formal eh?"

They looked at me with wide eyes.

I walked away from them right after, going to her room once again. I rested my back on the wall, crossing my arms while my eyes landed on her figure.

"One month has passed.."

I pushed myself off the wall and reached for the chair that was left at the other side of the room. I placed it next to her bed, though, I thought about it for a minute and before I sat down, I lowered my ear down to her chest.

There it is.

Her heart was indeed beating faster. I raised my head and looked at her pale, yet, beautiful face.

"You've had a fair amount of beauty sleep, haven't you? It's about time you woke up, don't you think?"

I smirked as my fingers played with the ends of her soft hair. Glancing outside the window, I realized that the sun would soon set so after one final glance at her, I made my way to the door and left

...

"So you came?"

My eyes landed on Erwin and Hange, both smiling at me warmly.

"What are you standing there for? Come take a seat shorty!"

"Yeah.."