18

Millie

I couldn't get enough of Luke's touch. I craved it. I needed it.

Though it was probably to hold me up (literally) through this time, and though I knew it was unfair, I continued to tightly hold his hand and shower him with kisses.

For the first time in a while, I felt confident.

"Luke, you don't speak much about the band,"

We were walking down the beach as the sun set, a slight breeze picking up. The sky was deep purple and pink- it felt perfect.

"It doesn't come up much,"

"Have you uploaded a singing cover yet?"

He blushed and I gasped, jumping up and down.

"You have to show me,"

"No,"

"So you put it out to the world but I can't see?"

"It's not that good,"

"Then why did you upload it?" I said, raising my eyebrows, "Exactly,"

We stayed silent for a minute, simply walking down the beach. Over the past few days, I'd began to wonder what we were. How did you know when it was right to become partners? How did I know Luke wanted a serious relationship?

He called me all these things, and he made me feel safe and wanted in a time of uncertainty, but what if that was it. A time of uncertainty was making me believe things more because I wanted to believe them.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just wondering what is real and what seems real because I want it to be,"

"Shit- that's deep," he laughed, "Want to give an example?"

"No,"

"I see,"

We sniggered as Calum and Michael jogged past, wiggling their eyebrows at us; Calum really couldn't talk considering how him and Kyla went to third base in about two seconds.

"So, what's the dress code for tomorrow?"

"Luke, I'm not going to a coffee shop with you in a suit,"

"You should love me no matter what," he said dramatically- and he said the l word.

"I'm not going out with you in a suit to a coffee shop,"

"Fine,"

I giggled and swung our arms as we walked, finally feeling some freedom in my life. All this time I had been seen as the perfect girl, with a perfect house and family, but now I got to be me. And Luke got to see that.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Luke asked, "You're not dismissing any hurt?"

"Nope," I said, popping the p, "I am fine,"

"We should head back before it's too late,"

We looped back round and walked back to my home, dad poking his head round my bedroom door when we returned.

"Snacks!"

He brought in a tray of snacks and put it on my desk, then shut my door and left us.

"Do you want a shower?"

"Are you saying I smell?"

"No- no, but,"

"I'm joking. I will," he chuckled, "Go and spend some time with your dad,"

I got him and a towel and went downstairs, curling into dad's side on the sofa. The comfort he gave me made up for what had happened at mum's.

"How are you doing? How is your lip?"