chapter 54: Wolves don't fly

~ • ~

"I CHANGED MY MIND!!!
I CHANGED MY MIND!! I-I DON'T WANNA DO THIS ANYMORE-"

"Hey-!! Calm down- we're not even actually flying-"

"I DON'T CARE!!! PUT ME DOWN!!! THIS IS TOO SCARY!!!!"

How in gods name did this crazy human talk me into flying? I have absolutely no clue. But there we were- leaping from rooftop to rooftop, before being thrusted into the crisp blue sky. The way the earth below us seemed to shrink, made my stomach turn.

"W-Woah-!!! Shit, wait a minute-!!"

I quivered, scrunching my eyes closed; absent mindedly throwing my arms around his head. I cradle his face against my chest fearfully. His next statement came out muffled- and his hands seemed to cramp up anxiously, but they remained elevated. I was too scared to make out whatever the hell he was saying.

Before I knew It my body was morphing, and we halted midair. My right eye twitched open- I was expecting us to come hurling out of the sky- but we just fell smack dab in the center of the street, not too far away from the junkyard.

Huffing after such an intense moment; I rest my head in my paws. Before mentally groaning.

'I just went through hell.'

I winced- not exactly because I was in pain, but I could feel something poking into my chest fluff. I snort, rushing to my paws.

His hair was statically frizzed out; and he held a pained expression. I wag my tail, tilting my head.

"Okay, so flying is a major No-Go." He sighs. I only beam down at him before licking his cheek.

"C-CUT THAHAHAT S-SHIT OUT!!!"

I roll my eyes, nudging him onto his feet.

'Hey-?? Where'd the shirt go??'

I huff, sniffing around him to see if he'd maybe stashed it somewhere. He chuckles deleriously, trying to shove my snout away. It was one of the many perks of being so big.

"W-What the hell did I s-say-?!"

"W-WAIT!!! N-NOT THE WINGS!!!! PLEASE-!!!-"

He trips over his own feet collapsing to the ground. I had to be sure. I didn't trust him- at least not yet. How was I supposed to know he wasn't trying to keep me from finding Katsuki??

I huff- holding him still with my paw- my nostrils flare as I track down the shirt. He made it difficult because he just kept laughing, it wasn't that bad- he was so damn childish.

Eventually his breath came in quick gasps; bashing his fists against the concrete, between unstopable giggles. Tears gathered in the corners of his eyes, threatening to spill over.

"S-STAAHAAP!!! T-THAT'S NOT FAIR- YOU'RE LIKE; HUGE-!!!"

"I DON'T HAVE THE DAMN SHIRT!!!!"

"PLEHEHEHEHEASE!!!"

My gaze wavers from him to the concrete; it was like I could see the scent trailing down the street. I glide my nose onto the asfalt following the smell. He sighs in relief resting his head against the ground- steadily catching his breath.

"Where the hell-" He halts mid-sentence to gasp for air- "are you going??-" he added; lack of oxygen evident in his naturally bored features.

'Looks like I didn't need the shirt after all-!! Come on-!!'

I tilt my head- motioning for him to follow me. He purses his lips pushing himself back onto his feet, dusting the dirt from his jacket-

"I'm not exactly used to walking, but it looks like I don't have much of a choice." He flashed a look of annoyance. I sneered,

'Oh come on. You carried me all the way to you're apartment didn't you? What's with that anyway? Aren't you supposed to have some fancy mansion?'

He rolls his eyes, "Like I said, I'm in dept with some people so- I needed something low-key for a while."

'But what about your agency??'

"They're just fine without me. It's not like I'll be gone forever." I huff at that, as if nodding- but I couldn't exactly do that or I'd lose the trail.

"So how come you're afraid to fly; but you can jump over buildings no sweat?" He narrows his eyes, rushing to catch up with me.

'Well. I guess it's the lack of control- I also didn't exactly trust that you wouldn't drop me.'

"Ouch." He griped, "You know this whole trust thing doesn't sound so bad now- you mind telling me how I can win you over??"

'Well. Do you trust yourself yet??'

He looked like he was going to respond, but instead- he purses his lips anxiously.

'Well there you have it.'

With that I chomp down on the scruff of his hood, throwing him on my back.

"Why are we running now??"

'Because Katsuki could die at any given moment now- and I wanna get there as soon as possible.'

My right ear twitches at the sound of him anxiously clentching his jaw shut.

"That kid doesn't seem like the friendly type; what is it you see in him??"

I snorted at that, 'Well, for one- He's sixteen. You're eighteen. So technically you're both still kid's so....stop calling people that. And for two- he's the first person in a long time whose actually liked me for me, and hasn't looked at me as some kind of monster.'

'-And don't try to say you see me as anything more than just an animal. You said it yourself.'

His grip on my fur, losened. I could sense his guilt. I didn't feel sorry for him- but I did care.

'One crumby choice doesn't condemn you to darkness- so don't think I'm calling you a bad person.'

There was a solemn, silence that crept over us for a moment, before he responded.

"What makes you think I'm not a bad person? That I'm not just gonna screw you over- that I'm not with the league?"

'Oh I know you're with the league.'

"W-Wait......how did you-??"

'Anyone in dept right now- is in with the league. And if they're not, then they're in with someone else. There's another group around here, but I just don't have enough information to pinpoint who, and what they are.'

'And I don't think you're not a bad person- i know you're not.'

'The soul of a sociopath smells bitter, and their faith in humanity is weak. I can tell in the way they fight, like when I fought those nomu- and the league.'

'But your soul smells like frootloops.'

'-And I know you won't screw me over because you know i can just eat you.'

"Yeah...." He chuckles anxiously.

I sneered, 'I'm just kidding, silly human. I wouldn't eat you. I really shouldn't be eating at all. But I do it anyway.'

"Why eat for no reason??"

'Because it's fun, and it relaxes me.'

He pats my head.When he opens his mouth to speak yet again, i glanced back at him; annoyed.

'If it's another question, it can wait.'

Rubbing his neck sheepishly, he offers a solemn apology. With that, we carry on our quest to save Katsuki.