Chapter II: Senator Altamirano

Chapter 2

When Atlantis woke up, clear headed, she felt ache all over her body and very weak, with next to no energy since her body had just been laying there undergoing atrophy.  She gathered all her strength to move her head to look around. She surveyed the room. It was a little spacious and painted in pale yellow. The window was so wide she could take a peek at the garden outside. If she weren’t in that situation, she could have appreciated the room she was in. Not too huge and not too grand. It was plain simple just like the way she want it. But her situation was not simple at all. It was a living nightmare she had to endure.

Is this the price I have to pay for having much?” she bitterly thought.

Minutes later the doctor came in, she asked how she was feeling while checking on her vitals then remove her breathing tube and catheter.

“Horrible,” she replied shortly. Not looking at her.

Doc. Sandra looked down at her, sympathy was written on her face. “I totally understand. It’s going to take some time to learn to cope with it. But hang in there. You’ll get back on track in no time.”

Atlantis didn’t respond. Nothing could make her feel okay. She lost her mom. She didn’t even able to say goodbye for the last time. How could she be okay? She brushed away the tears that came out of her eyes. What she felt was beyond grief and anguish. Her heart filled with regrets. From losing her mom, from living away for so long, from choosing her craft, from having no time with them, most regretfully, for not making happy memories with her.

“Your dad will be here shortly” said the Doctor in awhile. As if on cue, someone knocked on the door. “That must be your dad.” She strode toward the door and opened it. The two seemed an old pal as they greet each other.

Atlantis was getting teary eyed again seeing her dad as he strode towards her bed. She felt a lump on her throat. He lost so much weight. He looked older than she last saw him two years ago. The father she knew back then was confident, strong, amidst of issues and controversies in his political career. Her father, Senator Alfred Altamirano, was her “superman” because he was invincible, indestructible. But seeing him now, he looked defeated and powerless. Nangayayat ito, bagsak ang mga balikat, nanlalalim ang walang buhay na mga mata. Atlantis could exactly see herself from her dad’s physique. Patay na buhay. Gumagana lang dahil kailangan.

“Dad...”

Her father sat on the edge of her bed and took her hand. A weight settled on her chest, so heavy she could barely breathed. She tried to take a deep breath but could not fill her lungs. Her chest actually ached. He gathered her in his arms as she sobbed and gulped air until she had exhausted herself and there were no more tears left

“Hush, Angel,” he patted her back. “Everything’s going to be okay, that I promise.”

“About mom....?”

Her dad heaved a long sigh.

“Let’s talk about that some other time okay?” his voice broke.

She nodded reluctantly.

Alam niyang pilit lang na nagpapakatatag ito. For her. For the two of them. Wala na silang ibang kakapitan kundi ang isa’t isa.

Binitawan siya nito at inalalayang makahiga. “How are you feeling? I was so glad when Doctor Sandra here called me last night telling me the good news. I wanted to come here as fast as I can but it wasn’t that simple.”

She turned her head to stare in the window.

“Don’t worry about me dad. I’m okay,” she lied.  Kahit kabaligtaran niyon and nararamdaman niya. She did not want to add to his burden. She showed her wound to him. “I’m fast recovering dad, see my wound? It’s almost healed and I’m feeling better. Much better because you’re here.” she added. Having her dad by her side made her feet safe and better somehow. “Doc Sandra is treating me well. She said I could take a shower tomorrow, right Doc?” she said and glanced up to Doc. Sandra.

“Yes,” the Doctor stared at her then at her father. “I ran some tests and she’s cleared. She can get off of this bed anytime now. She just has to avoid doing strenuous activities and stressful situation so she can recover fast, physically.”

“Thanks, doc,” she gave her a small smile and turned to look at her dad. “How about you, dad?”

“Well, as long as my angel is okay, I’m okay too.” He ruffled her hair. Her dad always did that. Parang bata pa rin ang turing nito sa kanya minsan.

“Don’t worry, dad, when I’m totally okay, I’ll take care of you just like how mom did. I can be your secretary, nanny, chef, name it.”

Nagkatinginan ang dalawang kasama niya na parang may itinatago sa kanya. Nag uusap ang mga mata na ang mga ito lamang ang nakakaintindi. She just shrugged. She was too tired to care. Wala naman sigurong problema na mas malala pa sa nangyari sa kanya.

“Of course, Angel. Of course.”

“Goody!” I’m so tired, dad,” she said.

Seneator Altamirano nodded. “Go back to sleep. We’ll talk later. If you need anything just call us.”

Atlantis turned over unto her side and curled into fetal position, pushing the covers up to her chin. “Laters, dad.” Her dad went to the door with Doctor Sandra.

Sana ang buhay ay parang manuscript lang na pwedeng e-edit pag may hindi ka nagustuhang scene. Pwedeng puro happy moments lang, walang villain, walang conflicts, walang complications, walang heartaches. You could decide which way the story ends. You could always take control. But no, life was more complicated in reality. Akala niya masaya na ang buhay niya. She was contented, happy and complete in her own little world but when she stepped out of her bounderies, she meant coming home and reaching out, everything shattered. Hindi niya alam kung paano bubuuin ulit ang buhay niya after what happened. Saan niya hahanapin ang sarili niya at kung paano siya mag sisimula ulit. Nakatulugan ang sobrang pag iisip sa sitwasyon niya. She hoped she didn’t because the incident haunted her even in her sleep.