Chapter XIII: Security Detail

Monday.

Gabriel woke up as early as three in the morning. Soldiers lived that way. They were trained to sleep less, if they have an operation, they don’t sleep at all. After he finished some drills he knocked on Aia’s door. This girl was really weird. There in her door pasted a note that read ‘enter at your own risk!’ as if it was a danger zone. He shook his head. And true to her words from the other day, she made his life easier. The brat decided to hibernate in her room in two days which was odd. A girl her age should be doing something else but staying in her room. Her stuff was still hanging outside the corridor, the two boxes were untouched.

“Miss Trinidad,” he called out. She was starting school today so she’d better prepare early. And she was summoned by General Sebastian to attend the Flag raising ceremonies. He knocked again, but no sign of Aia being awake.

Isn’t she aware about the importance of time in the military? She’s in a military base for god’s sake, she must observe time!”

Gabriel held into the knob to know if it was locked but he was slightly electrocuted. He made some exclamation under his breath. Damn! Was this what she meant in that blasted note? That anyone who’d try to enter her room uninvited would get electrocuted? He shook his head. Not possible. She was just a kid. Maybe there was a just problem with the wiring. He shook his head again. Not possible, either.  Just then, the door opened. A sleep-walking girl in pyjamas greeted him.

“What do you want?” she said in a hoarse voice, eyes still closed.  

“We’ll be leaving in two hours.”

“Why?”

“You’ll start school.”

“Do I have to?” Her eyes now slightly opened.

“Of course! Kids go to school.”

“But I’m not one of those kids.”

“Believe me, you are!”

She shrugged, “If you say so.”

“That’s all.” He turned away.

“Wait!”

“What?”

“Don’t tell me you’ll be wearing that?” she said pointing at his tiger stripes BDA uniform. “You’d better change. I don’t want to draw attention at Uni having a uniformed man escorting me. That would be so uncool.”

“It’s Monday,” he replied impatiently.

“I know, but why the uniform?”

Gabriel sighed in exasperation. “Flag raising ceremony!” he said and walked away. That brat was really energy consuming. He stopped and turned back, “And before I forgot, you are obliged to attend. We’ll start in thirty minutes,” he said. Then he went off.

Aia and Lt. Castellejos were now on their way to the university where she was enrolled in. A convoy trailed behind them. They were using the General’s private SUV.  Aia tightened her grip to her seat belt and closed her eyes tightly. Panicky, paranoia and anxiety rushed through her. This was the first time she went out to the the public. Paano kung.. kung may humarang na naman sa sasakyan nila at paulanan sila nang bala? She felt her hands sweating, her face turning white. Aia took a deep breath to calm herself. Walang mangyayari kung magpapadala siya sa takot. It was now or never.

“You’ll be with the best person to protect you and you have your vest. You have nothing to be afraid of,” she assured herself.

“Hey, are you okay?” asked Lt. Castellejos.

There was a hint of concern in his voice but when Aia opened her eyes and stared at him, there was no trace of concern in his face. It was void of emotion. “Don’t worry about me. Just a headace.”

“Okay. Kung masama ang pakiramdam mo, tell me. Baka maulit na naman ang nangyari last Friday.” Ang tinutukoy nito ay noong nahimatay siya habang tinu-tour siya nito sa loob ng kampo. Hindi na ito nagsalita ulit.

Aia asked Lt. Castellejos to break the uncomfortable silence between them. “Lt. Castellejos, how long will we get there?” She stared at him; Lt. Castellejos looked so serious while driving. He was on work mode which means cautious, alert and armed.

“In twenty,” he replied not looking her way. His full attention was focused on the road.

“Okay. Uhm, Lieutenant, Do you have to be watching me inside the campus?”

“Hell, yes! How could we protect you if we are away?”

He had a point there. But why did he have to be so grouchy?

“So how do you plan on protecting me? By trailing behind me all the time, attending all my classes and box me in, preventing people to get near me in a safe distance, and check on them to get through me?”

“Exactly, Miss Trinidad,” he said flatly.

“But that’s absurd!” she said in protest. “I am not hindering you from doing your job but I’m going through hell already. College drama is the least I wanted. The campus is perfectly safe; no one would dare hurt me there. Please see reason.” Oo nga at takot siyang lumabas pero useless lang din ang kagustuhan ng daddy niya na magkaroon siya ng normal na buhay kung sa lahat ng oras ay may nakabuntot sa kanyang myembro ng militar.

She was not the first daughter or something close to have a tight security detail. Oh, okay, she was a Senator’s daughter and a Russian heiress but things were different now. Si Aia na siya ngayon. Isang simpleng teenager na nangangarap ng isang normal na teenage life. What would people think of her if they’d find out she was heavily guarded by the military? Baka layuan siya nang mga ito nd worst naka matakot ang mga ito sa kanya. It was worse than before.

“Kids your age would think it’s cool to have a bodyguard. What more if you have a whole platoon of army guarding you? You’ll be living a princess-like life. For sure, students will flock around you; everybody wants to be your friends. Isn’t that cool?”

The smugness on his tone grated in Aia’s already distraught nerves but she remained calm. “No... That would be awkward, totally awkward. I told you I’m not one of those kids. If you are in my shoes I’m sure you’d understand me." 

“Will they still flock around me if they knew I’m screaming with danger? They will surely avoid me like the plague. I never asked for this! Never will be,” she wanted to add.

She’d be willing to trade all she has just to have her mom back and her life’s equilibrium. “Please, Lieutenant, I just want to live a normal college life,” she said silently begging. “Can you just watch me discreetly?”

Lt. Castellejos studied her for several seconds as if he was trying to decide on something, “I’ll check their Security system first.”

Aia clapped her hands. “That is fair enough!”