Chapter XVI: The Surveillance Team

Gabriel was setting up everything for Aia’s security. The General specifically told him not to argue with whatever the girl wanted because it would surely stress her out. Since she didn’t want them trailing her, as he expected, he had to use plan B.

That was to set up a surveillance team. Before he reported to the camp, Gabriel had rented an apartment in the downtown area where he could park his car. Good thing it was near the University belt. Now, he could use it for another purpose. They cleaned it and set up their devices.

Aia’s class schedule and room assignments were faxed last Saturday and the General gave it to him. Earlier was just an act so she won’t get suspicious. If she’d find out they planted CCTVs even in her classroom would surely freak her out. And the girl was just too argumentative and stubborn she won’t stop pressing her point until she found loopholes in everything.

The CCTVs inside the campus were feed directly to their monitors. He instructed the security team to put hidden security cameras in Aia’s classrooms, at the cafeteria, library, hallways, and other parts. That way, he could monitor all her activities and whereabouts. If there’s danger in her way, they could be in her rescue immediately.

“Everything is set, Boss Gabriel,” Baldo said. He was one of his five member team. He specifically chose them based on their skills and training.

Gabriel looked around. The small room became a mini command centre. “Good,” he said and stared at the monitors.  Their job was like watching a movie. A very boring movie seeing their ‘subject’ slowly dozed off to sleep in her class at her very first day. “What a way to make an impression!”

“With all due respect boss, bakit mahigpit ang pagbabantay natin kay Miss Aia? May tangka ba sa buhay niya?” tanong ni Sgt. Baldo.

“Pinababantayan lang ni General baka magloko sa school,” sabi ni Gabriel. It was a lame alibi pero wala na siyang maisip na gawing rason para hindi masuway ang utos ng General.

“Is this going to be our daily job, Boss?” asked Private Singson. Bago pa lang ito sa serbisyo. Gabriel picked him to join his team because he’s a computer expert. He was the one that did all the setting up of their devices.

“I’m afraid yes,” he said looking at Sergeant Baldo. He knew how he loved action. And this assignment was purely surveillance. He’d complain for sure. But Gabriel was surprised when he raised his hand and shouted ‘yes!’ as if he won first prize in a raffle draw.

“Bakasyon ito, Boss. I mean, this is a big break for us from being in the field for a long time. Laging nag aalala ang pamilya ko sa Benguet pag may mga operasyon sa bundok. It would be a break for them too. And that siege in Mindanao almost caused my mother a heart attack.”

“That’s what in my mind too, Sarge. Things are pretty tough now in the Military, I’m thankful I wasn’t deployed in Mindanao,” added Sergeant Malvar. “Gusto ko mang tularan ang labindalawang myembro ng Special Forces sa walang takot na paglusob nila sa gyera sa Mindanao, hindi ko kaya. Isang ordinaryong sundalo lamang ako.”

Gabriel thought for a moment and said, “Yeah.” That siege in Mindanao caused the death of his ‘mistah’ and members of the Army and few civilians. Kung pwede lang sanang wala nang giyerang maganap para wala nang buhay na maisakripisyo.

Private Singson did the complaining. He was the youngest in the team and really wanted to do some action in the army.

Like any Army amateurs.

At first you’d be very excited to make your first operation, thinking it would be simple, but later on, you’d realize that being in the military was more than that. It was not simple. You’d eat, breath, sleep, everything, by the rules. You’d have to make some sacrifices too. A lot, actually. That includes your life.

They joined the military to have a future. But the truth, there was no future for them in the military. Every