Ch 21: A Victory

Hi!It came to my attention that in my story Olaf's red-haired boyfriend's name- Harrison, is very similar to one of Merida's brothers name. And I just wanted to make it clear that they are 2 completly different people. Merida's brother are a little older than they were in "Brave" movie but they are still children/minors and I would never put them in any sexual scenario in my work. So sorry if I confused anyone.

As always, I hope that you're safe during that hard time and I wish you all the best!

^^^

It was late morning when (y/n) was walking down the hallway. After a sleepless night, Merida finally managed to fall asleep so the girl didn't wake her up. She, on the other hand, promised to let Utgerd know about the situation after telling the royal couple about her relationship with Merida, so she was now heading to the barracks.

She decided to take a shortcut and went through the garden. When she was passing by the old oak tree, she noticed someone sitting on a bench beneath it. It was the queen!

"Oh, sorry Your Majesty" the girl bowed quickly "I didn't want to disturb." 

She wanted to walk away but the queen reached out to her.

"No, please! I wanted to talk to you, actually."

(y/n) didn't know what to expect but didn't have any other option than to follow the order.

The woman made some room on the bench, giving the girl a signal to sit next to her. (y/n), remembering the spy, looked around to check if no one was watching them. Only when she was sure that they were alone, did she sit down

.After having a closer look at the queen's face, the girl could tell that the woman didn't get much sleep either.

"I don't know how does it look at your lands" the queen started "but in here, women's life is far from being easy. I got married to king Fergus when I was 25...years after the average age for a woman to do so. That's why I was bullied and ridiculed by other ladies, nobles, even my own family. All I wanted for my daughter was to avoid such a cruel treatment and to be happy. However, it seems that all that time I was trying to fulfill my dreams instead of respecting hers. What she wants in life is not a wealthy husband...but you."

"So" the girl started hesitantly "Does your majesty approve our relationship?"

"Well, I think it's too early to talk about marriage...at least not before you end your training."

"So you don't condemn us?!"

"No. Of course not! I may have said a few unpleasant words about same-sex relationships in the past, it's true...but I would never choose some idiotic prejudices over my own daughter!"

From the excitement that was tearing her from the inside, she completely forgot about the manners before the royalty and grabbed the woman's hand.

"Oh thank all the gods! I'm so happy to hear that!" Then she moved back, terrified that her gesture offended the queen. "I'm so sorry."

The queen chuckled "It's all right. Now, I won't be stopping you much longer. You were heading somewhere, it seemed."

"Ah yes!" the girl remembered. She stood up and bowed to the queen.

Then she dashed back to the castle. Utgerd could wait, unlike the good news.

As she was dashing up the stairs, she bumped into Runa.

"Could you-" (y/n) tried to catch her breath "Could you go to the barracks and tell Utgerd that gay is okay? Thank you!" she didn't wait for the response and continued her run.