XLII. The Proposal

Chapter 47
The Proposal

From what I remember, I am Ellery Amigleo, the first born of Piere and Asunta Amigleo. My mother had a circle of friends, it includes Winston Saavedra, Reugene Saavedra, Tito Rheden, Tita Raya and Tita Frida. And the chaos started with the latter.

Tita Frida was my father's ex girlfriend. She's bound to marry Reugene Saavedra and that left damages to their friendship.

"We're home."

Sumunod si Tita Frida sa U.S. Gusto kong magalit sakanya. The memories I had in the past were horrifying. It's all because of her. But I cannot put all the blame on her. Afterall, it was his husband who is so damn cruel. She concealed the truth to protect her children from the detriments the controversies could cause them, and I fully understand it. She was never mean to me, I admit. And I have loved her the way I loved my foster parents. But I couldn't deny the fact that somehow, they betrayed me.

Nang lumapag kami ng airport ay agad kaming sinalubong nina Tiya Rosana. Bago ko pa sila tuluyang malapitan ay may humarang na sa'kin.

He extended his hand to get my luggage.

"I'm sorry.... but, who are you?"

Kumunot ang noo niya. "I..."

Magsasalita pa sana siya ngunit inignora ko iyon at inagaw ang luggage na hawak niya kung kaya't nabitin ang kamay niya sa ere. Linagpasan ko siya at linapitan sina Tiya Rosana.

"Tiya Rosana! Namiss ko po kayo. Asan po sina Bryle? Miss ko na din sila."

Kinunutan din nila ako ng noo. Tumagos ang tingin ni Tiya Rosana sa likod ko bago muling bumaling sa akin at bahagyang ngumiti. She reached for me to hug me tightly.

"Namiss ka namin, Aria..."

"Elle, Tiya. Elle po."

Lumapit din si Migo at yumakap na rin sa'min. I hugged them both.

Nang bumitiw ako ay gumala ang tingin ko sa paligid. I looked for Dustine and Ysmael but there are no traces of them.

"Asan po 'yung mag-ama?"

"Recognition ni Ysmael sa pre-school. They can't miss it kaya kami ang sumundo sa'yo..." ani Migo. His gaze went to the person behind me. "Sasama ka pa ba sa'min? Naghanda si Mama para sa recognition ni Ysmael."

Lumingon ako para tignan siya. He only stared blankly at me before proceeding. "You go ahead. I still have a meeting to attend to."

Linagpasan niya ako. Tinapik ni Migo ang balikat niya. Humalik naman siya sa pisngi ni Tiya Rosana bago umalis.

Tita Frida frowned as she came near me. She elbowed me and didn't say anything but her eyes speak a thousand questions.

Umuwi kami nina Tiya sa bahay. Hindi na tumuloy si Tita Frida dahil nakatanggap siya ng tawag habang nasa byahe kami. I didn't hear anything from the background but I could sense that something's off based on her reaction.

"Smuggling-related charges have been filed by Philippines Customs against the owner of Saavedra Steelholdings for substandard steelbars, and his linkage to smuggling activities in Beureau of Customs."

I smirked. Tignan mo nga naman. Hindi man nabigyang hustisya ang pagkamatay ng mga magulang ko, ang mismong sirkumstanya na ang naglagay sakanya sa dapat niyang kalagyan.

As soon as we got home from the airport, the news welcomed me. I felt the exhiliration of victory after everything that happened to me.

This filthy old man! All these years, I was fooled by his heroic facade. I was raised by the family who refused to give the justice to my parents.