Chapter 19: A Life behind a shut door

Rosaline sat up in bed after a good rest and looks over at Erik who was playing the piano for the little babies. She laughs lightly and tells him "You're so sweet to the kids, you know that?" And he goes to her and responds with "Well I certainly do my best. My life was always full of hatred, even when i tried to be nice, but that's just how life is Rosaline. Life.. It doesn't work that way, no matter what happens." His voice said rather grudge-like with the last part. Rosaline rubbed her eyes as she leans on him, whispering "I know how you feel. My father always told me to keep dreaming when people told you to stop. A lot of kids made fun of my burn scars when I was a little lady. The only thing I found solice in was the books I had on my shelves."

(12 years ago)

A little 7 year old Rosaline sat in her room, with a wall of books her family collected. Ever since the fire incident, she had been isolating herself away from her siblings, fearing they might ridicule her for making a dumb decision. She picked out one and went over to her stuffed animals in the windowsill. She sits down with them and says "Settle in Girls. It's story time." And with a swift sense of style, she opened up the book and began to read.

"There's a princess, In a tower. Oh my gosh, that's just like me! Poor Rapunzel needs a haircut, But the witch won't set her free. She passes time by singing, Like someone else I know. As years go by she sits and waits- As years go by? Uh oh.." Rosaline panicked and went through the pages. "A torturous existence? I don't remember this part! She wishes she were dead? Skip ahead! Skip ahead!" And soon enough, she finds the happy ending. "But in the end Rapunzel finds a millionaire. The prince is good at climbing and braiding golden hair! So I know, he'll appear, Cause there are rules and there are strictures. I believe the storybooks I read by candlelight. My white knight, and his steed will look just like these pictures! It won't be long now, I guarantee!" She looks at her hands, counting how many days it had been. "Day number Twenty three.. I know its today. I know its today!"

(5 years later.)

Rosaline was now 12, and she had been warming up some since the incident, but is still fearful of the outside world from how her father died. She sat on her bed with another book and says "Oh here's a good one! It's a classic!" And she begins to read that one too.

"There's a princess in a coma.. Glad its her instead of me. Pretty maiden in a glass box. How I wonder does she pee? Blah blah blah, poison apple. Boring boring, evil queen. Filler filler, been there, read that! Seven shorties on the scene. Skip ahead, skip ahead!"

Her eyes flipped through more pages, finding the happy ending to the story. "But in the end the princess wakes up with a start. The prince is good at kissing, And melting Snow White's heart! So I know, he'll appear, And his armor will be blinding! As shining as his perfect teeth, And manly hose. He'll propose on one knee, And our pre-nup will be binding! About time we set the wedding date!" She looked over at the sunset through her window and sighed out "Day number: nine hundred and fifty eight... I know it's today. He'll show up today!"

(5 more years later)

Rosaline was standing at the top of the Opera House's rooftop and she looked up at the beautiful cloudy sky, but felt as if something was missing. She pulls out one of the books she favored full of the work she had and opened it up, singing the whole hearted words that she had felt in her broken soul, despite the kindness within her.

"There's a princess! Any princess! Take your pick, they're all like me! Not exactly, I'm still waiting! They're out living happily. Ever after better get here, I want love in seconds flat! No one needs these middle bits." Then she ripped a page accidentally and asked herself "Oops, did I do that?" And with all of the pent up anger she had being isolated, she began to tear up the work in sadness and rage from being kept away for so long.

"Cut the villains, cut the vamping. Cut this fairy tale! Cut the peril and the pitfalls! Cut the puppet and the whale! Cut the monsters! Cut the curses! Keep the intro! Cut the verses! And the waiting! The waiting! The waiting! The waiting! The waiting!!!" And she throws what was left on the ground, stomping on it. Then she snaps out of her rage and looked at her hands. "But I know, he'll appear. Though I seem a bit bipolar... And I'm a vandal now as well, hope he won't mind. I'm a find, I'm a catch.. And a very gifted bowler! It won't be long now, I guarantee! Day number.."

She loses her train of thought and goes to the edge of the opera house and looked to the sky, asking "Are you there god? It's me Rosaline." And two figures, both of her from her past experiences stood by her side singing with her. "It's me Rosaline!" Then, they all joined in unison. "Now I know, he'll appear! Cause there are rules and there are strictures. I believe the storybooks I read by candlelight! My white knight, my knight and his steed will look just like these pictures! It won't be long now, I guarantee!"

The younger Rosaline crossed her arms, saying "Day number twenty three." And then the older Rosaline rested a hand on her cheek, saying "Day number nine fifty-eight." Then the current Rosaline leaned against the railing and spoke softly "Day number eight thousand, four hundred and, twenty three..."

The visions of the past Rosaline began to fade while over lapping each other, saying "I know it's today, ooh! I know it's today, ooh!" And the present Rosaline sang with them as they faded. "I know it's today, ooh!" "I know it's today, ooh! I know it's today, ooh!" And as the sun settled down, the three said "I know it's today!" Before the visions faded entirely.

(Present Day.)

Rosaline held Belle in her arms as Erik held Jameson and she says "Now do you see the true me?" And he nodded, saying "I didn't know that you had broken feelings either Rosaline. I honestly thought you kept yourself away because of the people, not the family." And they share a smile before getting some rest for the night