Chapter 24: Changed For The Better.

(January 15th, 1884)

Screams of agony rang out in the Victorian house where The Destler's lived. Rosaline was induced into labor and this one was most definitely painful. Belle and Jameson were being taken care for at their nanny's house so they couldn't see the trouble their mother was facing. Erik kneeled down by her side as the midwife instructed Rosaline to 'Breathe in and out. Then Push.' After a few hours, two healthy baby girls were brought into the world. Only one thing was wrong..

Rosaline looked over at the first girl of who they named Erika, and she saw that she had Erik's facial deformities. Her smile turned into a sunken frown and fear of what the outside world will think started to set in. "Erik, we both knew this would happen one day, and I should have listened to you.." She blubbered through blurry eyes and Erik wiped the tears away. "Rose, I've learned how to accept my scars a long time ago since you came into my life. Although I may not have had family at first to show acceptance, if we give our effort to show Erika that she is loved, maybe one day she'll learn how to accept hers.. We both promised that we would face challenges together, correct?" And Rosaline nodded, laughing slightly, knowing that he was right about it. "There's my smiling Angel." And the two held the little girls in their arms, Little Erika and Little Anna-Marie, after Rosaline's mother.

(The next morning)

Erik brought back Belle and Jameson home and led them upstairs to where Rosaline was resting "I'd like you two to meet your new sisters, kids. Erika and Anna-Marie. Try to be quiet as the babies are sleeping." And the two nod, walking into the bedroom as Rosaline was singing the lullaby she was taught to them. Belle stood near the bed and watched little Erika's eyes look at her. "She's perfect." Her soft voice whispers And Jameson had his pointer finger held by Anna-Marie. Rosaline chuckles at their interactions and asked the two. "Would you like to hold them?" And they nodded, sitting on the bed gently as she handed them over to the two in their arms, telling them "Be careful now." Erik stood in the doorway and knew they were the perfect family. He then got an idea and said to Rosaline "I think I have a perfect sequel for "Royal Rose and The Crystal Crown." and ahe began to get to work on a title. Belle and Jameson handed the two little ones back to Rosaline and she sets them in their cribs. She gets up gently and walks over to his side very gently so she wouldn't pull something and watched his feather pen write down the title for the new opera: "Love Never Dies."

(Later that night)

Christine walked to the house and knocked on the door, and Erik went to answer it. After he sets down the pen and ink in his hands, he walked downstairs and opened up the door to look at her. "Christine, what are you doing here this late at night?" "Erik, I just wanted to say.. Thank you for all you have done. Everything I know now it was not your fault at all. You've really changed yourself as a whole different person, and to be honest.. I can hardly recognize the old you now. Erik, listen to me when I say this. Me, Raoul and our kids Gustave and Charlotte are leaving Paris for America tomorrow morning. I just wanted to stop by and say goodbye to you and Rosaline." She spoke with a frown and he shook her hand once more and sighs "I understand. You four might have gotten a good deal there wherever you may go."

Christine laughs softly and begins to sing for him one last time. "I've heard it said, That 'people come into our lives for a reason.' Bringing something we must learn, And we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them. And we help them in return. Well, I don't know if I believe that's true. But I know I'm who I am today. Because I knew you. Like a comet pulled from orbit As it passes the sun. Like a stream that meets a boulder, Halfway through the wood. Who can say if I've been changed for the better. But because I knew you," Christine pauses to collect herself and she continued with "I have been changed for good."

Erik nodded and they begin to walk down the dirt path, sharing memories together. "It well may be, That we will never meet again In this lifetime. So, let me say before we part, 'So much of me Is made of what I learned from you.' You'll be with me, Like a handprint on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine. By being my friend. Like a ship blown from its mooring, By a wind off the sea. Like a seed dropped by a sky bird In a distant wood. Who can say if I've been changed for the better? But because I knew you.." And Christine follows up with "Because I knew you.." And the two duetted, saying "I have been changed for good!"

Erik gives her a parting gift, hugging her close. "And just to clear the air, I ask forgiveness For the things I've done, you blame me for." And Christine shrugs it off, saying "But then I guess, We know there's blame to share." And then they sang to each other with a smile "And none of it seems to matter anymore!"

The two overlap each other with the lyrics "Like a comet pulled from orbit! (E: like a ship blown from its mooring) As it passes the sun (E: by a wind off the sea) Like a stream that meets a boulder (E: like a seed dropped by a bird) Halfway through the wood (E: in the wood!) Soon, the two approach back at the house and they finish up their duet by singing out to each other "Who can say if I've been changed for the better? I do believe I have been changed for the better!"

Christine tears up, hugging him nice and tight. "And because I knew you." And Erik pats her back, telling her "Because I knew you.." Then they begin to part slightly, ending the song with "Because I knew you, I have been changed... For good." And then Christine leaves the premise, waving goodbye to Erik, her lips quivering as she spoke "Goodbye for now Erik." And Erik heads back inside, knowing his hole in his heart finally closed