~ 27 ~

"Here you are, Jayden. We thought you weren't coming back." Hilary spoke, as soon as her eyes found her brother walking back to the table. She smiled widely at him and her smile grew even bigger when he returned it with the quickest movement of his lips.

By now, the sun already set and the moonlight was starting to appear above the darkening sky. The lights in the garden blazed in every corner of the lawn, giving a soft yet magnificent touch to the whole setting.

The party peeps were already done with their food, although leftovers were still scattered around the tables. The maids walked back to collect them and clean up the place.

"So shall we go see my painting and use that to wrap up the party?" Hilary suggested since there was no more activity left to do and before things grew boring, it was best to end it any minute.

Maria was glad to hear that. It was past seven and she personally didn't wish for the gathering to employ much time. "Sounds fun." She smiled, masking her happiness as the type looking forward to seeing an artwork that was more expensive than her net worth.

"May I have this walk?" Justin offered while standing from the table, signaling to his friend with his hand stretched out.

Her blue eyes dropped to his open palm, staring hesitantly at it before nodding her head gently. "Sure," She replied in the same friendly tone.

Ashley watched her brother help Maria to her feet, and the sight made her piss. She was almost at the point of ruining their locked hands when she realized she could utilize the moment for her gain. "Looks like we got to go in pairs with Hills leading the way," She stated as her brain came up with the most brilliant idea to hold hands with Jayden.

She snuggled closer to Jayden the moment he rose to his feet, catching his arm with her two hands. "Let's also pair up, Jay," She proposed sweetly, pulling him by the elbow.

His eyes which were fixed on the other pair slowly descended to meet hers. "No, thanks." He returned coldly and was not moved by the hurt that filled her gaze after the rejection. He was in a foul mood after all and playing such childish games would only serve to sour it even more.

***

"This is beautiful," Maria admitted, staring at the flowing colors of the gigantic oil painting that spoke of the steepest mountains, the wildest waves of the sea, and bright birds soaring over the horizon.

Indeed, the illustrated masterpiece portrayed all the natural marvels the earth could offer and she found herself captivated by the beauty. However, the awe of the painting didn't let her forget that it cost more than her rent. Nothing about the painting explained the four hundred hungry thousand dollars part. It was rather too expensive. An exaggerated, expensive, totally uncalled-for gesture.

"You can say that again. It was painted eighty years ago by the famous Albert First." Hilary's eyes danced on the artwork, her tone holding so much reverence for the mentioned artist.

Maria nodded before glancing at the lady from the corner of her eyes. Within a few seconds, she found herself staring at Hilary more than at the artwork. Watching Hilary entranced with the art made Maria wonder if purchasing those kinds of things was really a typical thing for rich people.

A barman approached the group, and his presence caused the guests to stop gawking and focus their attention on him. They took turns choosing their preferred drinks.

Maria eyed the red wine placed in her grip. The liquid danced against her fingertips as she gently shake her glass, testing its texture. She was undecided whether or not to drink it, knowing she was a lightweight when it came to alcohol.