~ 49 ~

Her head felt heavy, the sensation of alcohol taking a toll on her mind making her sleepy all over. Her eyes were closed, her lips half-open to breathe through, when she became aware of an intense stare in front of her.

She twitched her brows as she noticed the annoying pervert leaning against her table, staring down at her face with much attention that made her uncomfortable.

"Hey, pretty lady." The man said to her, his voice low, almost sensual, making her cringe with a disgusted expression. "Can I sit here?" He added.

Maria shook her head slightly, ignoring the stranger instantly by rising up. She was not interested in any conversation with anyone, especially in her condition.

It had been thirty minutes since Jayden had told her to wait but she didn't think she could stay there any longer; her drunk presence only kept on luring strange guys to make a move on her. She was not even certain he would really show up.

"If you like," she told him anyway, knowing she wouldn't be keeping him company as he wanted.

The guy was surprised to see her pick up her purse and stand up without further explanation, walking away from the table with staggering steps. He noticed this and followed after her, deciding to offer assistance he was sure would be difficult to be rejected.

"Hey, are you okay? You look drunk." The stranger called out softly from behind, catching her by the wrist when she almost stumbled.

Maria turned to look at the intruder as his hand continue to hold hers. She looked into his eyes with an irritated expression. "Let go," her command came out weakly, her lips feeling too dry.

"No. You're drunk and don't need to be alone on the streets like this. I can take you to wherever you live." He said, a little more stern, almost as though he was giving commands to someone who shouldn't be disobedient.

His tone caught her attention, and she could sense dominance in them, making her stare at him in a way she couldn't control.

One look at him and she could tell he was the dangerous type. It was good enough that they were in a public place and not somewhere more secluded or else it might not be too safe for her.

Her eyes traveled back to his grip around her wrist, and the sight aggravated her. "Let me go or I will report you." Maria tried again, her tone stronger.

He did not release his hold. "Can't you see I am only trying to help? You don't have to be so mean." He retorted, his fingers wrapped tight around her hand.

Maria pulled her hand out of his hold, stepping back with a huff, but he followed her out of the restaurant and caught her attention by grabbing her shoulder.

"Get your fin off her." A low voice commanded through the night air, the sound coming from behind them as a dark shadow stepped into view.

The direct instruction attracted their attention, Maria turning her head first to the rich sound she could never mistake for someone else's.

She soon found herself staring into a set of brown eyes that held great annoyance against the other man. His features were enhanced under the bright lights of the street lamp, his strands of hair unstyled like most men wore before going to bed, and the sharpness of his gaze looked like one planning murder.

"Mr. Stanley..." she uttered breathlessly, quite surprised that he did show up.

However, he didn't seem interested in talking to her yet, stepping closer to the stranger with apparent irritation. "Let go of her," he rephrased his order in a more firm way, his tone commanding and also menacing.