~ 30 ~

"Maria!" Olivia yelled, the corners of her eyes twinkling with excitement as they stared back at the unanticipated visitor. Her radiant beam immediately dropped to feign a sullen expression as she let go of the door. "Look who decided to visit in months." Her voice came out like an accusation instead of the usual welcoming greetings, with her lips pouting.

Maria smiled softly, her blue eyes meeting those of the girl ones apologetically. "I have been busy, you cute munchy." She said hushedly, stepping forward and hugging the teenager close. "Besides, how do you know that? You just returned from school."

Olivia's expression quickly transformed into one of happiness as she released a squeal of delight. "Guess you've already forgotten how easily your best friend tells on you." She said with a chuckle, hugging the older lady even harder before letting her go.

"That betrayal," Maria joked before noticing Olivia's hair. "Wait, what happened to your brown hair?" She quickly asked, bringing out her fingers to feel Olivia's hair.

The younger woman smiled proudly as she took Maria's hand away, her fingers running through her long strands that were dyed a deep red. "I wanted a new look." She shrugged. "I got this on my way home. Get used to it. It will be lasting for a long time."

"Well... it suits you, you pretty thing," Maria admitted before squeezing her shoulders again, leaving Olivia giggling from her compliment.

"C'mon, let's go in." Olivia grabbed Maria by her hand, dragging her inside the bungalow.

The two walked into the cozy living room with the teenager leading the way. Maria looked around the over-familiar place which was the closest she could call a second home after her original one.

Her eyes lit up upon finding the lovely couple seated on the couch who was watching an evening news show on the large flat-screen television, their attention fully on the show. It appeared they didn't hear her entrance at first but Olivia was quick to announce her presence.

"Mom! Dad! Your second daughter is here." She called out to them. Her parents immediately turned their heads toward them and their faces broke out with a mixed expressions of surprise and delight.

"Oh, dear, Maria!" Emily expressed with her usual warm smile, her arms spreading wide for an embrace that the younger woman eagerly returned. "It has been a while since I have seen you. Did Ted deliver my cupcakes yesterday?"

"Yes. It was so yummy that I cried for more." Maria answered honestly, smiling some more as she felt Emily's soft embrace, her fingers running through her blonde hair.

"I am happy you enjoyed it," Emily spoke, squeezing her once more before letting go.

Passing a smile to the older woman, Maria turned to face her husband. He was seated closely, his face bestowed with a cute charm that spoke of Ted's resemblance to him. "Dad!" She exclaimed before giving him a playful punch on the shoulder, causing him to laugh, with the others shaking their heads since they were aware of the two's childish bond.

"How are you?" Bernard inquired, taking the time to reduce the volume of the TV. "How is grandma doing?"

"I am fine, she is fine, we are doing fine," Maria responded to the questions, including the upcoming ones, before walking over to the fridge to get herself a cup of water.

"That's good to hear. I haven't seen you much and I was worried." Emily's soft voice came from behind. Maria turned to show an assuring smile, knowing full well that Emily meant every single word.

"Nothing to worry about, mum. In fact, there is good news. I got a raise--"

"Really?!" Olivia cut in with excitement, interrupting her mother's response as she ran to stand beside Maria in the kitchen. "Really?" She repeated, making the other lady laugh at the way she emphasized each syllable with her enthusiasm.