Chapter 9

Winter was acting different. I don't know why he was; maybe it was because of our almost kiss or something that Qibli told him. He was staring at me when he thought I wasn't looking and was thinking about me almost constantly.

   Qibli was different too. He's been closer to Winter and is talking to him more. But he was thinking the same. Kind of. More towards me and Winter than usual. 

   I, however, was feeling very caught in the middle.

   We were in the cafeteria, Kinkajou on my right and Umber on my left (who was very interested in the meal), and Winter, Qibli, and Turtle on the other side. Carnelian had refused to be seen sitting with, and I quote, 'unexperienced wimps' which Winter had thought very seriously about throttling her in response. She continued to sit with a few other Flameiac's that had a few scars themselves.

   Qibli said,

   "So, what's everyone doing after the day is done?" Kinkajou smiled eagerly and spoke around her food.

   "Moon's going to help me with my reading after! Then, I think she said something about reading and homework after, which I think is lame." I wrinkled my nose at her.

   "What? Reading is great and I have homework to catch up on, thank you." Kinkajou giggled at my comment. I took another bite of orange, thinking, Maybe I should have told her that I was planning on working out in the gym too... well, no. I swallowed and asked,

   "How about you guys?" Winter surprisingly answered,

   "Going to the library. I need to look something up."

   "Couldn't you just search it on a phone or something?" Turtle inquired with a puzzled expression.

   Hm. Likes everything to be easy, Qibli thought, tilting his head at Turtle. Prefers to be invisible. Doesn't want to try hard enough to be noticed. Easygoing. Also loves it when he can just pick stuff up instead of working for it. He wouldn't last a day in the Scorpion Den.

   Winter waved the suggestion away.

   "That system is completely unreliable. Anyone could hack into it and change whatever it says at any time." I nodded, smiling a tiny bit at Turtles shocked expression. I finished my lunch and picked up my tray. As I set it down, Qibli stepped next to me, putting his own tray down. He asked in a rush,

   "Will you go out with me?" I looked at him, surprised. We had only known each other for four days and he wanted to go out? Kinkajou sidled up next to me.

   "She would absolutely LOVE to! You can go tomorrow! Okay? Cool, bye." And on that note, she tugged me out of the cafeteria.

   "What the heck was that?" I demanded. Kinkajou smiled innocently.

   "What was what?" I frowned at her response. She laughed and grabbed my arm again, heading towards our dorm. As soon as the door was closed, I repeated the question. Instead of answering, she grinned, and vanished.

   "Hey! I'm still talking to you." I gave the spot where I thought she was a disapproving glance.

   "Right behind you," she whispered behind me. I let out a loud yelp and promptly turned around. She flickered into view, then disappeared again. I held my head.

   "Kinkajou. Seriously, why did you say that?" I heard a sigh by the couch and saw her sitting there.

   "Oh, Moon. You would have taken hours to say yes and by then he would be gone. And how could you say no?" She shrugged. "You just needed a little push." I snorted.