Chapter 16

I flipped the page. Kinkajou groaned.

   "I'm bored," she wined. I nodded, not really listening.

   "Uh huh." I heard some shuffling in the background. A pause.

   "You want to do something?" she asked. I bit my lip, saying sarcastically,

   "I am doing something. Go bother Turtle while I'm reading." Tapping, followed by more shuffling. Suddenly, she laid down on my lap. "Hey! I was reading!" I scolded her. She was looking away. Kinkajou's hair was a dull brown, but with flickers of gold here and there; boredom and excitement.

   "Let's play truth or dare." She stared at me dramatically when she said 'dare.' I sighed.

   "There's no way that I'm going to convince you to say no, am I right?" She nodded enthusiastically. I sighed again. "Okay. Where do you want to play? You can gather everyone there while I can read in peace for a little longer."

   "How 'bout... the lake?"

   "Okay. Can you get off me so I can get there?" She nodded and popped back up. Kinkajou bolted out of the room, which I shook my head at. I reopened the book, opened the window, flew over to the lake, still reading. I had mastered the art of walking or flying and reading without bumping into anything.

   When I got to the lake, I was the only one there meaning I had some more time to myself. I sat down on a rock, and only got through a paragraph when Kinkajou came flying down like an arrow. Behind her was Qibli, then Turtle, and after a pause was Winter. I closed my book and set it down.

   "Where's Umber?" I asked. I wasn't even going to bother with Carnelian. She was still in a rage when I got back to our dorm from helping Winter. Kinkajou shrugged.

   "Couldn't find him." Turtle suddenly spoke up.

   "I can text him." He quickly pulled out his phone and typed furiously for a few seconds before holding it, then turning it off. "He's talking with Clay. He doesn't want to come. Says something about his family." Kinkajou nodded and sat down on another rock, while Turtle slid into the water perfectly comfortable.

   "Who's going to start?" Kinkajou asked. I pointed at her.

   "You start, since you wanted to do this." She grinned suddenly. She pointed to Turtle. "Truth or dare?"

   He flinched a tiny bit. "Dare." Kinkajou rubbed her hands together, earning a scared look from Turtle which Qibli laughed at.

   "Alright. I dare you to talk super loud, like nobody can hear you until the next round." Turtle shifted in the water uncomfortably. Then he shouted,

   "QIBLI. TRUTH OR DARE?" Winter winced at Turtle's loud tone. I was also surprised. He was always so quiet, so it was a weird change.

   "Um. Truth." Turtle thought for a moment.

   "WHAT DO YOU WANT ON YOUR TOMBSTONE?" Qibli made a face.

   "Why you thought up that question, I have no idea. But I would say 'here lies Queen Glaciers brother's, wife's, son's, sister's, brother's best friend. I will never understand him'." Winter barked a laugh and I giggled quietly, Qibli smiling in my direction. Qibli looked around the group and said to Winter, "Truth or dare?"

   Winter frowned a little. "Dare."

   "Alrighty. I dare you to get into a debate with a rock." This time, I laughed out loud. They both looked in my direction, confused. I managed to say over my giggles,