Spiralling Down (Part 26)

Monica - Well then, I am not going to keep you here any longer. Go to the canteen the team must be there. You should get to know them.

Prerna nodded, squeezing Monica's hand as a thank you Prerna left for the canteen.

**************************************************************

Prerna noticed her team huddled around a table munching and gossiping, the colour had seemed to return to their faces. She saw Ranvir talking while the others listened attentively. 

She slid into a chair on the table as the gossip stopped abruptly upon her arrival. Eyeing the group Prerna broke the tension of awkward silence that was bestowed. 

Prerna- May I sit here? 

Aditi- Of course ma'am please have a seat

Prerna gasped and dramatically placed her hand on her chest

Prerna - Ma'am? 10 minute pehele tak toh welcome to the gang tha! ab itna formal kyu?

Naina- We didn't know you are our boss, we are sorry for what happened earlier

Shikha elbowed Ranvir to continue 

Ranvir - Yes ma'am, genuinely sorry. 

Prerna- Sorry? Kyu? Acha yeh batau Ranvir tumhe ek hot boss chahiye thi na, am I hot enough? 

Everyone's eyes widened at the statement 

Ranvir- So..sor..sorry ma'am 

Prerna- Answer me Ranvir, main tumhe hot lag ti hoon? 

Ranvir - Yes ma'am you are extremely hot

Prerna - Apne boss pe line maar rahe ho? 

Ranvir - Nahi ma'am not at all, mera matlab tha nahi 

Prerna- Nahi? Main tumhe hot nahi lagti?

Prerna said acting offended. Ranvir was left completely stumped while everyone else burst out in laughter. 

Prerna- Relax main mazaak kar rahi hoon

The tension on the table eased a bit

Shikha- Ma'am aap...

before she could complete her sentence Prerna interrupted her

Prerna- Phirse ma'am? come on guys please call me Prerna. Me being your boss doesn't change anything

Shikha- Okay fine, toh Prerna would you like to eat something? 

Prerna - At the moment I need some coffee, I will go grab a cup. Could you please go to the conference centre, I would like to discuss a few things. 

Naina - Sure! 

With that Prerna slipped out of her seat and made her way towards the coffee machine. Filling herself a piping hot mug of coffee Prerna slipped into deep thought as she made her way to the conference centre. 

Flashback

It was 7 in the evening, Anurag had returned early from work to spend some time with Prerna before she too started working. He ran up to their room only to find it empty. Checking the bathroom only to find it empty as well. 

Anurag - Prerna! 

He called out but there was no answer. Great, he arrived home early for her and she was nowhere to be found. He climbed down checking every nook and corner before finally reaching the kitchen. 

Entering the kitchen it looked like he had stepped into a war zone. Pots and pans lay strewn on the counter top. The floor was coated with flour while egg shells lay like land mines in odd places on the floor. Thick chocolate syrup dripped down from counter tops, running down white cabinets and pooling on the floor, mixing with the flour. 

Prerna stood in one corner, her back to the entrance vigorously whisking something that Anurag guessed could only be cake batter. Carefully making his way to his wife, trying his best not to get his shoes dirty Anurag snaked his arms around her waist pulling Prerna to him. 

Prerna- Anurag!

Prerna exclaimed in surprise. Resting his chin on her shoulder he hummed 

Anurag- hmm

Prerna- Home early huh, learning from old mistakes I see

Anurag- Of course, dont want to face your wrath again. 

Prerna let out a breathy laugh 

Anurag- Waise yeh kya hall bana rakha hai kitchen ka? 

Prerna turned to face him 

Prerna- Trying my hand at cooking. And as you can see it is not turning out quite well

she said gesturing to the mess of a kitchen 

Anurag- You don't know how to cook? 

Prerna shook her head. 

Prerna- Not one bit, I tried to make maggi when I was 16, but I almost burned the house down. After that mom deemed me a hazard in the kitchen and I was banned from entering it ever again. 

Anurag shook with laughter

Anurag- So you are telling me that my little miss know it all cant even make instant noodle. 

Prerna- Hey! Stop! 

She said smacking his chest. 

Prerna- Waise yeh batter almost tayaar hai, cake khaoge? 

Anurag glanced at the batter 

Anurag- Yeh ready hai? Cement aur zeher ka mix lag raha hai

Prerna- Anurag! 

Prerna rolled her eyes 

Prerna- Like you could cook any better

Anurag smiled leaning in closer

Anurag- Of course I can!

Prerna- Really?

Prerna said folding her hands in front of her chest. 

Prerna - Dekaho phir 

Anurag- Is that a challenge Mrs Basu? 

Prerna- It is Mr Basu!

Flashback ends

A loud gasp brings Prerna out of the past only to find her coffee Anurag's shirt. Unknowingly she had collided with Anurag while lost in her thoughts and spilt steaming hot coffee all over him.

Prerna- Oh my god! I am so sorry

Grabbing some tissue she started dabbing at his shirt 

Prerna- I don't know coffee kaise gir gaya, bahut garam tha kahi jala toh nahi? I am so sorry Anurag

she paused, finally looking up at him she realised they were standing extremely close, mere inches apart. Stepping back she added

Prerna- sir, sorry Anurag sir. 

Before anything else could be said she ducked out of the canteen and rushed towards the conference centre. 

On the other hand her phone in the dark cabin lit up. A notification flashing

Message from Rishabh: Can we meet? 

**************************************************************

And that's the update! Hope you enjoyed it! Next update on 12th June