Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Pyre

"I'm gonna leave my body

moving up to higher ground"

Leave my Body- Florence and the Machine

Celina, Alasdair and his Gamma Koray along with his mate Simona came in a few hours later to bless Kaila's body before the ceremony Celina and Simona entwined a few herbs together to create one long braid. Standing in a circle around Kaila body, with Alasdair at the head of the table, Celina to his right, Koray to his left, and Simona at the other head of the table.

Alasdair lite the herbs and slowly circled the wafting smoke around Kaila's head, then passed it to Celina. She slowly and gently circled the smoke over Kaila's chest, then passed it to Simona who circled her stomach. Lastly, Koray passed the sweet smelling smoke over Kaila's legs. Once the cleansing of the body was complete, the door opened as the other members of the pack entered the room.

They were lowly singing a beautiful rhythmic hymn, as they made a circle around the Alphas and Gammas. The women broke away into a separate verse that was a higher lilting octave that sounded like a cross between Gaelic and Romanian. While, the men continued in a deeper tone that resonated within the large room.

Taking the lead in the song, Celina stepped forward with a small white dish filled with a shimmering oil. It smelt of the woods and ocean; a relaxing scent. She slowly began to draw different patterns and symbols with the oil on Kaila's exposed limbs. Stepping forward Alasdair drew a final symbol on Kaila's forehead as the song came to an end.

The females of the pack quickly lite white and gold candles and preceded to walk out of the room single file. Humming lowly, a sound like the gentle swelling ocean. Nikolai and Andrei, two brothers who were normally always cracking jokes and playing around, stepped forward somberly to lift the slab Kaila's body was laid on top of.

After the brothers left behind the singing procession of women, Koray and Simona and then the Celina and Als followed after them.

It was truly a rare and beautiful thing to witness the private workings of a pack, as they were extremely secretive.

"I did not realize that werewolves were so religious" Rosalie spoke hesitantly once the precession had left the house. I turned to look over at her and the rest of the Cullen's who wore similar expressions of awe. I nodded distractedly as I started walking out the back door to follow the precession, I heard all the vampires move instantly to follow me.

"Werewolves, are completely dedicated to their goddess as well as nature." I said softly once we reached the back I stood gazing out into the woods as the procession disappeared beyond the trees.

"What was that song they were singing; I have never heard that language before" Edward asked as he wrapped his arms around me pulling me close.

Sighing, I leaned against him and placed my hands above his. "It's an ancient language-from what I gather I believe it is only spoken by the wolves."

I said as I stopped at the tree line and prayed the pack would be safe as they performed the burial ceremony.

"Interesting" Jasper said while looking thoughtfully at the ground.

Alice snuggled deeper into his chest as she smiled softly at me. "Are we not allowed to attend the rest of the ceremony?" her lilting voice spoke a few moments later.

I turned to her shaking my head "No, only family and pack can attend it is deemed disrespectful to allow outsiders to enter into a blessed place of the moon goddess while they are performing a ceremony."