CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

By the next morning, Faustus seemed to be right again, though he definitely had not returned to his normal self. He ate his breakfast in the hospital wing while Ben and Olivia went to the Great Hall to eat with the rest of the school. Immediately, Olivia was bombarded with questions from her friends about what had happened after she left the third task. Soberly, she told them everything that had happened, careful to leave out Sirius, and afterwards, they ate their breakfast in silence. Professor Dumbledore addressed the school and told them not to badger Harry. Later on that day, as Angelina, Alicia, and Olivia got ready for bed, Olivia decided to tell them something that David had told her whilst in the infirmary.

"Grandpa says you guys can't stay this summer," she said solemnly, not looking at them. "He says it's safer if you just stay home."

"How is that safer?" Angelina questioned. "If You-Know-Who is back, isn't it safer to be with Aurors?"

"That's exactly it. There are three Aurors that live with us. Soon to be four, if Ben sticks to what he's been saying for the past decade. And even those that aren't Aurors have already made it very clear which side they are on. My mum, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, and even some of my cousins, they're all seen as a threat to those on the Dark side. They could very well be targets, and if you're staying with us, you will be, too. I don't want that for you, my family doesn't want that for you, and I'm sure you and your families don't want that for you, either."

"But we can still write, right?" Alicia asked, her voice full of concern.

"Of course. Until that becomes risky."

Angelina sighed. "These next few years are going to be rough, aren't they?" she asked.

"I have a feeling that's an understatement."

"And if we've learned anything this year," Alicia said, "it's that your feelings are usually spot-on."

Usually, the last few weeks of the school year at Hogwarts after exams are times of high spirits. They are times of relaxed lessons and free time spend out on the grounds, enjoying the sunshine. This year was much different. Students were still going outside, but very few of them were actually smiling or enjoying themselves.

The last feast of the school year, usually very loud, was very quiet and solemn. The Great Hall was decorated in black to honor Cedric instead of the colors of one of the four Houses.

When everyone was done with their food, Dumbledore once again addressed them all.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss," he said. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

Afterwards, everyone gathered in the courtyard to say goodbye to the guests from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Lots were still emotional from Dumbledore's speech. Angelina, Alicia, and Olivia were joined by Hermione, Arabella, Cho, and a friend of hers.