CHAPTER FIVE

That evening, as the Hogwarts students got off of the Hogwarts Express and made their way across Hogsmeade Station to the horseless carriages, Angelina and Alicia were badgering Olivia about not telling them about the Quidditch situation sooner.

"I just can't believe you wouldn't tell us," Angelina said. "I mean, we're your best friends for Merlin's sake!"

"I swore to Professor McGonagall I wouldn't tell anyone," Olivia repeated for about the tenth time.

"Gosh, this is like third year all over again," Alicia commented.

"What happened third year?" Fred and George asked.

"Nothing!" the girls answered right away. Angelina and Olivia shot Alicia a look and she mouthed 'sorry.' Fred and George exchanged looks as well, making mental notes to find out what had happened third year.

The six of them climbed into a carriage that would take them up to the castle. About halfway there, they heard loud whooshing sounds from above and looked up. Their confused faces quickly turned to ones of amazement. Up in the sky, there was a gigantic carriage being pulled by winged horses.

"Well, there's something you don't see every day," Fred said.

Just as they had done every other year, once the carriage stopped, they got out and entered Hogwarts castle, going straight to the Great Hall. They all sat down at the Gryffindor table and waited for the Sorting to start.

As to be expected, all of the first-years seemed intimidated. As Duncan walked with his peers up to the Sorting Hat, he waved at all of his various family members, who all waved back, though Ben did so rather soberly. He was one of the last ones Sorted and although he was Sorted into Hufflepuff, Olivia still cheered for him.

After the Sorting had concluded, Professor Dumbledore, the headmaster, stood up at the podium. "Well, now we're all settled in and Sorted, I'd like to make an announcement," he said. "This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well." As he spoke, the school caretaker, Mr. Filch, was running up to where he stood, earning stares from the students. "You see, Hogwarts has been chosen-" He was interrupted by Mr. Filch finally reaching him, and the two men had a whispered conversation before Mr. Filch ran back out of the Great Hall. "So, Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event: the Triwizard Tournament."

"Brilliant," said Fred and George.

"But people have died in that tournament! I've read about it!" Olivia said, suddenly very worried. Angelina shushed her.

"For those of you who do not know," Dumbledore continued, "the Triwizard Tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school, a single student is selected to compete. Now let me be clear... if chosen, you stand alone. And trust me when I say, these contests are not for the faint-hearted. But more of that later. For now, please join me in welcoming the lovely students of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, and their headmistress, Madame Maxime."

The doors to the Great Hall opened and a dozen students around Olivia's age entered, all wearing silk, blue uniforms. They seemed very sophisticated, the type of people Ben might associate himself with. And sure enough, when Olivia looked down the table at him, he was watching a particularly beautiful girl walking towards the back of the crowd with a slight grin on his face that was hardly ever there. In fact, there were many boys ogling at this girl.