Chapter 7 | Happiness Comes in Many Form

ISADORA'S POV

"Dora, what were you thinking? Your action will affect your reputation. What if they went to the Knighthood and complaint about what you did today? The king gave you a title. What if they revoked your title and-" I halted and turned to face my father. He stopped talking when he saw my expression.

I am upset! He shouldn't even think of selling the farmland. It belongs to the family, and also although he's the oldest among his siblings, he doesn't have any right to do such a thing!

"You should've asked me for the money! The thought of selling anything that belongs to the family shouldn't even cross your mind! I am upset! What's the point of me being a knight if I can't even help my family?! The farmland is a family heirloom! You can't sell it! Not to the count! Never!" I didn't realise that I was screaming at my father.

I am such an unfilial daughter.

"I'm sorry for my misbehaviour, dad. But what you did, really upset and anger me. Let's go home." I turned to my cousin.

"I'm sorry that you have to witness such behaviour of mine. Since it's past noon, let's have something to eat. I'm sure my mother has extra prepared. I mean, when did she ever cook in small portion when I'm around?" I tried to lighten the mood by giggling at my own words.

"That's okay. I have some matters to attend to myself. But since you're back, I will make sure to give your home a visit when I have the time. Just give your father a break. He's been through a lot for these past few months." My cousin whispered the last part before excusing himself.

"Dora, what is that?" My father was pointing at my bag. I wonder what he's referring to as he looks at my bag.bI was surprised to see something that shouldn't be there at all.

"Is that- a noble family emblem?! Isadora, why are you carrying a noble family insignia inside your bag?" I am as surprised as he is.

Hold on! What's going on here?

"Oh, no. Those rascals!" My father was confused.

"Rascals? What do you mean? Isadora, normally I wouldn't be asking you about your life in the capital but for you to carry around a noble family emblem means only one thing! Are you married to someone behind our back?! Or did you get yourself into trouble and you have to sell yourself?" What?! Where did he get those ideas?!

Those kids have done it. I never knew that such sweet-looking children would be so devious! What am I doing trusting the kids that the monster duchess gave birth to herself? She must've told her kids to planned something so that I have to go back to the Hawthorne estate at the end of this month.

I didn't even have the time to think about the offer.

"Well, Isadora. I'm waiting. Are you married to someone? And is she a noble? How did she react when she found out about your condition? Did she freak out like most of the girls you had feelings for in the past?" This father of mine needs to stop bringing up the past. He is getting out of hand.

For now, I hid the insignia from anyone's view to avoid more inauspicious event. I bet it was that young master Harris who placed his family emblem inside my bag. He was the one seen loitering around my belongings that night.

It was my mistake to look down on the Hawthorne.

"It's just a misunderstanding. It's nothing important." I assured my father, but he doesn't seem convinced. Well, we're just a poor farmer family. We have no right to be dwelling ourselves with an aristocrat. But, it wasn't me who search for them.

It was the Hawthorne who wants me to work for them. And I'm sure; this is one of their ways to make sure that I should consider working for them.

"I will let it go for now. But please, Isadora. Don't make any haste decision that you will regret later on." I nodded. When we arrived home, I asked my father to go inside while I stayed outside to enjoy the scenery for a moment.