Chapter 27 | Concubines

ISADORA'S POV

"Oh, am I hearing this, right? You two are here just to know about the possible concubines' list? I didn't expect that you would come here in person, so I didn't gather enough information yet, but if you wish to know just their name, I guess I can think of a few that might be beneficial for the Empire's future." The imperial consort smiled at us.

Camille sighed while pinching the bridge of her nose. The archduchess hates the idea of sharing me with anyone else, but that is understandable. Everything is my fault. I shouldn't accept the offer without thinking of the consequences. I was consumed with hatred and the thought of revenge when I agreed to replace the current shadow empress.

I'm sorry, my love. It is all my fault.

"Right off the bat, we have Sophia from the tower of Camellia. That woman may be nothing but a courtesan in everyone's eyes, but the series of web-like connections she has behind her back is something to be wary of, don't you think? It doesn't matter what kind of information you wish to know; she has it." Something piqued Camille's interest.

"Imperial mother, you mean the notorious Sophia? I thought courtesan isn't allowed to have any ties with anyone. Why would you want Isadora to take her in as a concubine? Not to mention a courtesan?" Camille was curious, and so am I.

The imperial consort chuckled.

"My dear Camille, having someone like Sophia as your aid will make others fear you. Just think of her as the late noble consort. Your noble mother grace used to aid the shadow empress in strength and wisdom. You might not be aware of what is currently happening within the underground businesses in the Capital, but somehow, it manages to take control half of nobles in the Empire. Elpis has been dealing with them with the help of Sophia. Sure, she may be young, but she has the skills and knowledge to help you." Imperial consort Virtra shrugged her shoulder.

"Your next candidate would be princess Andromeda of Gargantua Kingdom." Camille's eyes widen. I've heard of that princess before. That woman is famous throughout the Empire as a magic caster who could summon the legendary Gargantuan tribe. It might be beneficial to have someone like the princess as an ally, but how are they supposed to make someone as proud as the princess to be a concubine?!

"Imperial mother, I'm sorry if I may sound rude, but are you perhaps drunk? I've met princess Andromeda before at a gala. Isn't that the same princess who threw a glass of wine at empress mother? Aren't we enemies? Are you trying to kill Isadora in the process?" I placed a hand on Camille's shoulder.

"Calm down, my dear. Andromeda may be a vicious warrior in the battlefield, in galas and even in the vicinity of other world leaders, but isn't that what you should be excited about?" I-

I don't get it at all. How am I suppose to be excited knowing that the princess might destroy any ties of alliance we have made in the future if she becomes my concubine. I don't see the logic in this.

"I can see the confusion there, but don't worry; I picked these candidates because of their exploitation in wars and even for their kingdom. Having Andromeda beside you will raise the morality of the nobles that have no faith in your capabilities. Having these concubines beside you will not only boost your attribute and also their trust in you to protect the Empire. Do you think Elpis's concubines are just for the show? No honey, they're all there to be an accessory for the shadow empress." The imperial consort smiled at us.

"In other words, having Andromeda will make you strong. I mean, having someone who could summon a Gargantuan tribe is something every leader dreams off." Camille sighed before facing me.

"She will make a good candidate, indeed." Is the archduchess jealous?

"Good. You see my point there. For the next candidate, I decided to include the shaman princess of Grenia Kingdom, princess Cassiopeia." Did I heard her, right?! Did she said the shaman princess?! Now that is just impossible.