Homeland

Three months ago, if someone had told Yejin that she would be riding a horse alongside the Crown Prince of Goguryeo, she would have thought them to be utterly insane.

Back then, she probably would have chosen to jump off the horse than interact with him.

Right now, the two horses walked side by side peacefully among the grassy plains of Goguryeo's shared borders with their vassal state and tributary, Dong Okjeo.

Flanked by a small entourage of imperial guards, which was now left to wait for them at the foot of the hill, it had taken them over an hour to reach this place.

Hyun Bin was staring ahead as his steed walked alongside the Yejin's mare, not noticing that the princess was glancing at him from the side with an slightly amused expression.

"You are bored."

"I am not."

"Maybe you are not, but he surely is." Yejin fixed her eyes on the slightly restless brown stallion, before looking back up at the prince.

Their eyes met in that instant, and both broke into light chuckles.

"That girl is trained for pulling horse carriages, but this boy here is undergoing training as a war horse, so he's always raring to go." Hyun Bin explained, reaching around to pat the stallion reassuringly.

"You can take him and go ahead, if you wish." Yejin offered, well knowing that a strong rider like the prince would surely like to take his horse for a swift gallop. "I am getting the hang of this."

Looking at the way Yejin knew to use her legs to control the horse, instead of blindly pulling on the reins, he knew she wasn't entirely inexperienced.

However, the idea of leaving her to ride by herself was...uncomfortable.

The prince slowly said. "I have a better idea."

"What might that be?"

"You can join me."

"Me?" The princess was almost incredulous, as she imagined the prince suggesting that she rode her mare at a gallop along with his stallion. "I can't..."

"You can. If you sit here." Hyun Bin said, somewhat bashfully as he tilted his chin in the direction of the space in front of him.

A blush had spread across the princess' cheeks at the thought of being in such close proximity to the Crown Prince.

The truth was, looking at him directly was difficult enough.

Yejin had always known and acknowledged her husband's immensely good looks, but seeing him confidently riding a magnificent steed was yet another crushing visual attack from him.

"Would you like to try?" His baritone voice was heard again.

Oh no.

Now the ball was back in her court.

There was nothing to lose, was there? Yejin thought, before, she slowly nodded.

In that moment, the Crown Prince's features gave up on the stoicism which she had always associated with him, to break into a boyish grin.

Both reined their horses to a halt from the slow walk.

With seasoned ease, Hyun Bin negotiated his descent from his horse, before going over to help her down from hers.

He extended a hand, and Yejin took it to steady herself.

Mindful to prevent the A-line skirt of her robes from riding up, Yejin slowly brought one leg over to join the other.