Tonight

Breath pale against the numbing air, Yejin watched thoughtfully as snow danced in the light of the candles and lanterns, in a choreographed sequence conducted by gentle wind.

They'd have had such an amazing day together, the Princess pondered.

She wouldn't dare ask for more, really, he was the Crown Prince and had the weight of the empire on his shoulders.

Yet Hyun Bin had made his entire day about her.

Since the early morning gift of the yellow oriole song, he had accompanied her on her morning rounds in the palaces to pay respects to the Queen and the other senior royals.

Then they had gone out of the palace for ice fishing, where they fished for winter trout through holes in the ice on a frozen, glistening lake.

Even though they had guards and handmaidens waiting for them in a distance, Hyun Bin had chosen to do everything by himself.

Holding Yejin's hand as they searched and gathered tinder, kindling, and fuel wood, they subsequently set up a pit roast by the lake to grill their catch for lunch.

He started the fire, whereas she was responsible for skewering the fish.

In that moment, they were behaving just like any other ordinary couple that she had once known from the Nakrang villages.

There were no special privileges conferred upon them by their royal statuses.

Just them, doing their own things.

Gathering firewood, hunting for their own food, talking and laughing, having lunch out there in the embrace of nature - it was so enjoyable and blissful in its normalcy.

Even the way in which Hyun Bin had mixed icy and boiling water to prepare water for her to wash her hands, was so impossibly sweet to Yejin.

"Is this clean enough for you? Or shall I prepare another batch of water?" He ran the warm water over her hands, gently rubbing them with his own.

"This is good enough, Your Royal Highness."

When the delicious smell of freshly-grilled trout wafted in the air, the princess reached for the skewer, only to draw her hand back almost immediately with a small cry.