Banquet

Author's Note: I found an article on The Korea Herald on Goguryeo cuisine, which was recreated and presented by the Japan-South Korea Culinary Culture Association back in 2016 at a Japanese shrine in Saitama.

@MamaNiAnna, @wwkww7208, this is for you ladies, who always encourage me and find interest in all these random bits of history and facts that I present in this fic.

The truth is, Goguryeo, being founded over 19 centuries ago, isn't as well documented as more recent empires. Grave robbers, war, etc have destroyed a lot of records, so there isn't too much for me to work with. Thankfully, they were very much influenced by the Han dynasty in terms of culture, religion, social practices, which helps in the writing of this fanfic.

Unsurprisingly, Goguryeo food is rather Chinese, Japanese-like as well. An example will be Crown Daisy salad, which is often used in Cantonese, Korean and Japanese cuisine. If you're Singaporean-Chinese like me, you'll likely know it in dialect as Tang-Oh which we eat during Lunar New Year. In standard Mandarin it is 茼蒿 (Tong Hao) and in Japanese it is 春菊 (Shungiku). I don't know Korean so.. :)

The ancient people of Goguryeo were apparently very good in the art of fermented food. Their usage of salt and soy bean paste on a daily basis in cooking also coincided with the timeline when these condiments became widely-used in Japan. Enjoy this chapter ❤️

——————————————————————

Piping-hot thornback fish marinated in soy sauce, seasoned roast venison, mixed grain porridge, pork fermented in bean paste, pickles, and crown daisy salad were all laid out in front of them

Yejin cast a subtle longing glance at the generous variety of food; the relentless traveling and physical exertion had left her very hungry indeed.

Unfortunately for her, the governor of Jolbon, whom she had only just gotten to know today as her cousin-in-law Haemyeong, was still addressing his guests.

Sitting beside him, was his wife, a willowy beauty by the name of Chihui, smiled and bowed politely to Yejin, who promptly returned the greeting.

Considering how the banquet was thrown in Yejin's honor for her and her entourage, it was only polite for her to pay attention to what her very generous hosts had to say.

"...it is our immense honor to have our esteemed Crown Princess consort here with us..."

The dessert of roasted acorn cakes, made with this autumn's best acorns, looked most delightful, the Crown Princess thought.

They looked like they would gently crumble and melt in her mouth, with light, nutty fragrance.

Involuntarily, she pouted ever so faintly, trying not to gulp.

"Hungry?"

Even as a whisper, his voice was deep and rich.

The princess jumped slightly, embarrassed over being caught staring at dinner when she should have been focusing on Haemyeong's speech.