Lotus

The imperial garden's pond was a vibrant image of majestically blooming lotus flowers in midsummer, with dragonflies flitting among the whitish, pink-tipped petals which had emerged from the water surface.

The lotus flower, revered as a symbol of Buddhism, representing the cycle of purity, life, death and rebirth, was one of her favorite blooms.

It was not merely the lotus' beauty that was its charm, but rather, the fact that it grows in muddy waters to rise above the surface to bloom with remarkable beauty and grandeur.

Yejin wanted to be like the lotus flower, persisting to bloom in pristine purity despite adversity.

Untouched by the impurity of the mud around her, focusing on purity of her heart and mind.

Blooming best in summer, the lotus' love for warmth and sunshine was an inspiration to the princess.

Closing her eyes in serenity, Yejin took in the peace of the moment.

Raising her hands to the geomungo placed in front of her, she plucked at the strings, at times tapping them with a short bamboo dowel, playing a basic tune that the handmaidens had taught her.

It was at times like that when she could slowly connect with herself.

Since marrying into the Goguryeo royal family last winter, two seasons had slipped her by. What a massive change it had been for her, on so many different levels.

From a princess shielded from all the worries of the world, living in the peaceful Nakrang palace with the family she had known since young, she became a consort to the Crown Prince of the highly militaristic Goguryeo Kingdom.

Suddenly, without friends and family, her identity was no longer that of an individual, but rather, a subsidiary of the Crown Prince.

Yejin knew she was here in Goguryeo with the weight of a greater mission on her shoulders.

She was not here for love, fun, or anything frivolous.

She forgot what it was like having family members and friends to speak with. She was just like the Jamyunggo, playing guardian to Nakrang by keeping war at bay.