Wind

A/N: This one is for ReginaDesolatio - happy birthday, lady! Plot development to come in the next chapter ;)

———————————————————————-

The mountains are where time stops, the Princess quietly mused, as she held the silk curtains of the horse carriage up to gaze far out into the gray expanse.

Reaching out unwaveringly for the pristine clouds, the majestic mountains care not for seconds, minutes or anything else, for that matter.

Standing witness to the passing of eternity, the mountain's embrace made time inconsequential.

As the horse carriage continued making its way in the direction of the Goguryeo borders, the rhythmic crunch of gravel and rocks underneath wooden wheels was all she could hear

Out here in nowhere, yesterday seemed inconsequential, and so would tomorrow.

Yejin realized, that for all the time she had spent in Goguryeo, she had actually seen very little of it.

Largely confined to the royal palace by the unbreakable shackles of her birthright and marriage, it dawned upon the princess that she was very much alive, but not quite living to the fullest.

The world outside of the capital cities such as Gungnae and Jolbon was an endlessly vast one, a world in which skies were bluer, dreams were bolder and restrictions were non-existent.

It was their third day on the road, with every passing second indicating one step closer to Dong Okjeo, not that she was actively keeping count.

Somehow, nothing else truly mattered to the princess, as she snugly held the hand which she had grown so accustomed to.

Hyun Bin.

Even thinking about his name brought immense happiness to her.

A gentle kiss on the shell of her ear caught her attention.

"What are you thinking?" A soft, almost inaudible mumble by her ear was her cue to meet Hyun Bin's eyes.

With an enigmatic smile, Yejin replied, "I just thought we human beings are so insignificant."

Born in an era where women should neither be seen nor heard, the princess was constantly yearning for the freedom of self-expression.

She was always so full of emotions and thoughts, so much so that she did not know where and how she could fully express them.

The Crown Prince pondered those words with that faint, regal smile of his that she had grown to love so much, before nodding in agreement.

"Maybe we are insignificant out here in the embrace of nature. But you, princess," Hyun Bin locked eyes with Yejin, studying the soulful depths of her eyes.