[23] Hide Out

Carina

I came back to work today and I'm really happy, they were all very nice to me...and I didn't expect it.

It did make the afternoon go faster.

I examined a really sweet pregnant girl, she was 16, and after realizing she couldn't take care of her baby she decided to give him to a couple of gay guys.
They were so sweet too.

They almost looked like a family, and that really moved me.

Anyway, the baby was fine.
He will be born next month.

Seeing this happy couple, ready to have a baby...made me involuntarily think about Maya.

I text her.

C-"Hey honey
I'll pick you up at 8:00 p.m.
I think of you. And I miss you."

Here comes the answer.

M-"Hey, baby, I miss you too.
8 o'clock is fine. I love you"

I smile.

And when I look up, Amelia Sheperd looks at me curious.
She just got back to work after having a baby with Link.

A-"Look here, Carina De Luca fell in love, didn't she? Who's he?"

C-"It's a she, actually..."

A-"Wow... do I know her?"

C-"I don't know...her name is Maya, she's the captain of station 19"

A-"Oh, yes! I think I've figured out who is she...congratulations! I'm really happy for you!"

C-"Thanks Amelia, and how's your baby?"

A-"She is fine, thank you! He sleeps a lot, fortunately!"

She starts showing me pictures of her son, and he's really sweet and beautiful...

Maya

Maya

I just got back to the station after a call about a school fire, the chemistry lab caught on fire.
Luckily nobody got hurt, because the school was closed.
We still don't know what caused the fire.

I get out of the truck and I go to wash my face and change, it's getting really hot..

When I get back to the main entrance I hear Jack talking to someone, a woman.

J-"Hello, can I help you?"

H-"Hi...I was looking for Maya Bishop, she works here, right?"

Shit...I recognize this voice, she's Hima...

I instinctively hide myself.

J-"Yes, she's the captain, now I go to call her...who's looking for her?"

H-"I'm Hima, thank you."

I hear Jack coming towards me, when I see him I call him whispering

M-"Hey, Jack! I'm here!"

He looks at me surprised, and laughs

J-"Am I wrong or are you hiding? There's a woman looking for you, called Hima."

C-"I know, I heard her..."

J-"She's really hot, who is she?"

M-"An old friend of mine...we used to race together...and the other night she hit on Carina in a club while I was in the bathroom..."

J-"What?"

Jack keeps laughing...

J-"Are you going to stay hidden here? Should I tell her you're not here?"

C-"No, no...I'm gonna go.."

I take a breath and go to the main entrance...

She's there waiting for me, wearing a blue shirt that leaves the navel uncovered, jeans, and dizzy heels of the same color...

M-"Hey, Hima...you're here"

H-"I told you I'd come see you!
Did I bother you?
Or can you show me the station, Captain?"

M-"No, you didn't bother me, we just got back from a call...come on, I'll show you around the station..."

I'll show her the trucks and the ambulances, explaining how they and we work.

When suddenly the alarm rings again.

Oh thank you, God...

C-"I'm sorry Hima, I really have to go now, I'm glad you came to see me! Anyway, see you"

I say running away without even listening to her answer.

When we get back to the station after che call, our turn is over, and Carina is already there waiting for me, she's talking to....

What the fuck?? Hima?? Again??