Distance (Bambam)

Seven months into the relationship when you finally decided to face reality. It wasn't as if you didn't know where he was; if anything, you didn't care enough anymore because the next week he'll be breathing another country's air and all you could do is wait for his call. They would come at random times, as he always forgets the time difference. But you would still give him a smile as he shows you another outfit he found and plan to wear when you finally go out.

He never really finds time to go anymore.

"How was Taiwan?" you asked, resting on his chest as he played with your hair. He had just arrived from another trip and was too tired to do anything. He asked you to lie with him on the bed, going for a cuddle instead of resting.

But you knew better; he's leaving again later. That's why he couldn't unpack his bags or take off his coat. He wouldn't go for comfort and risk getting too familiar.

You wished he didn't do that to you too.

"It was great. I kept on asking you if you wanted anything from there."

You, you wanted to answer. You have been losing some of him everytime he walked out the door.

"I'm going to Singapore next."

"When?"

"Later, actually. Maybe we can grab lunch before I go?"

It was the last straw. You knew you loved each other and if soulmates were true, you were it. Nothing could beat your intimacy, except maybe distance and white lies. You couldn't blame him for not making you a priority, but you were in equal faults for how you wouldn't address the bitter truth until time had faded the only thing keeping you together.

"I'm so proud of you, you know that, right, Bam?"

"Yes, I know."

"And I love you."

"I know."

"But this isn't working anymore."

He sighed before dropping a kiss on your temple, holding you closer. "Yeah."

You smiled bitterly and let him rest for a while. Before, you thought him out of the door was already too far away from you. But it's actually when he's beside you that you realise you've been growing apart, and a distance made by time was the hardest cross.

-- based on Niki's Sugarplum Elegy