4 🥀: What The Actual Fuck

Janika Starr 💫:

I woke up to muffled noises coming from downstairs. I swung off the bed and padded softly into the hallway.

I looked left and right to see if Devon was up, but the very loud snores coming from his room told me he was still sleep.

I yawned and silently crept down the stairs, craning my ear to the voices, much louder now. I could definite hear Momma and a male voice I didn't recognize.

Their words caught up to me. "I told you now's not the right time," Momma snapped, frustrated.

"Them kids mine too, you know," the man retorted, something about the bass in his voice was strangely familiar.

"I know, I know. But I just told them what 'happened' to you, and now you wanna be showing up unannounced."

My breath got stuck in my throat when I finally reached the bottom of the stairs, and saw Momma, and--

A small noise squeezed outta me when I finally put a face to the man's voice. They both whirled toward me with wide eyes. And it was--it was--

"Nika," Momma said carefully, holding her hands out like she was tryna calm me down.

The man, him, didn't say nothing, just stared at me like a deer caught in headlights.

Momma had reached me by now, and when she placed a warm hand on my arm, I snapped.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?" I yelled, snatching my arm back. That would definitely get me an ass whooping later on.

I pointed a trembling finger at him. "You-you're dead! You said-" My finger moved to Momma. "And you said-" My fingers flew to Devon coming down the stairs. "And you...you knew. That day we moved in, I could see you knew something. You let me believe our father was DEAD!"

Devon sighed. "Momma made me swear not to tell."

"Right, just keep the fact that my Daddy is FUCKING ALIVE."

I couldn't breathe, the room started spinning, and I staggered back a bit.

"Niks," Devon tried to reach for me but I stepped back.

"No." I raised my hands up, like that would somehow block them out. "I just need to--" My breath got heavier. "I  just need a little..."

I ran out the front door before I could collapse in front of them. I took in deep gulps of the early morning air and tried to call down, but my head was spinning.

Thank God I managed to pull my phone out, and I dialled the first number that came to mind.

I placed the phone in my ear and let it ring for a few painfully long moments, before he finally picked up.

"Hello." Yungy's voice sounded deeper than usual, and a little husky.

"Hey." I unknowingly started walking in the direction of his house. "My bad if I woke you."

"You good. I'm awake anyways." He went silent when a small sob involuntarily slipped out of me. "What happened?"

"So much shit, dawg. I can't process it all at once."

"You wanna come over and talk about it? Nobody home right now."

"I'm on my way now. Matter fact, I can see the front door already."

"A'ight bet. See you in a few."

"Thanks." I hung up and ran up the steps, knocking on the door. He immediately opened the door, shirtless and rubbing his hand through his head.

"Hey," I said shyly.

"Aye. Come on in, you look like you been crying." He stepped aside to let me through, and I walked in with a mumbled 'thank you'.

"You alone?" I asked even though he already said he was.

"Yeah my sisters spent the night over at Shaq's."

"So you been all alone?"

He shrugged. "I'm used to it. 'Nough bout me. Why you been crying?"

I took a deep breath, that 'Trust Nobody' part of my brain trying to kick in, wondering if I should tell him anything.

But I was already here anyways. So I started talking. "Okay, um, I told you we moved here on family business." He nodded, urging me to go on. "Well that business was: my Daddy died cause he got into some problems with Crips or whatever, and when he died they set they sights on my Momma. So we had to move, to lay low for a bit. And now I just woke up this morning to my Mom arguing downstairs with a man, who turned out to be my Dad. Because surprise, he ain't even really dead." A small laugh broke out of me, and I shook my head.

"Lies wrapped in lies wrapped in mo' lies," I mumbled.

Yungy kept quiet for a few seconds, just studying me, and I noticed the small tattoo of a cross on the side of his right eyebrow.

Finally he said, "You mad that you been lied to, but if yo Momma and yo Daddy were arguing like that, then he wasn't meant to be there. So if he was, maybe he wanted to explain everything to you."

Them kids mine too!

Daddy had yelled at Momma. He wanted to see us, but Momma didn't want to let him.

"Right now best thing to do is just find out tha whole truth. Then make yo move from thea'." Yungy finished with a sigh, taking a drag from a blunt in his hand.

He held it out to me. "You look like you need it mo' than I do."

I laughed a bit. "Ion smoke. 'Preciate it, though, fareal."

"No doubt. I'm here if you ever need anything." He wrapped me in a hug. "I promise," he mumbled softly into my neck, and I just about melted.

Without thinking I pulled back and gently placed my lips over his. It wasn't our first kiss, but it felt...different. Like this weird spark I ain't never felt, even with Kaleb.

When he didn't kiss back I pulled back, my fave heating up.

He looked caught off guard and didn't say anything for a few moments. His mouth just opened and then closed back.

"Well," I said loudly, feeling slightly embarrassed. "Thanks for the talk, I'll see ya around, Jay."

I walked out the house before he had a chance to fully say, "Bye, Nika."

And even though I just found out my Daddy alive, after that kiss, a goofy ass smile spread across my face, and I walked back home with a slight skip in my step.

____________________________
That was kinda funny to write 😂

Oh and Deegoblaaa finally home y'all 🥳🥳

Ion know the details since it just happened, but i think Yungy paid for him to get out with his own money. Ain't that sweet 😊

Thoughts on the Daddy being alive? 🤔

I promise to make it interesting next chapter with a whole explanation on why.

I will say though, that her Daddy might be home, but her family is not in the clear just yet 😈