Chapter 5

"Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me, Mr. Hair Gel over here works for his sister?" I say with a laugh.

She laughs, "Mr. Hair Gel? Nice nickname. Anyways, yeah I'm the boss of these idiots, and you of course, but you don't seem like an idiot. I'm Michael's older sister by three years, and I've been working at Lacewood Records for almost ten years which helps you guys be able to record singles to perform at local shows. But how about we talk a little more about you?"

As she was talking I looked her over and could tell the relation but it is a little harder to tell compared to me and Julz. She has the same dark hair but her eyes are more hazel than dark brown.

"Well, I'm twenty-two, finishing up college so I can own a restaurant like my sister, Julia. She owns the café about half an hour from here, The Golden Bell. I've been working there for a few years to help pay rent for our apartment. I love to sing, always have since I was really young, mainly because my grandmother was a choir teacher. That's pretty much it."

She nods and smiles, "Alright then. Has she met Shawn yet?"

Noah shakes his head, "She's only met us so far."

"Who's Shawn?" I ask since he's right.

"He's our sound and recording engineer. He adds any special sounds and modifies our recordings exactly how we like them. Maybe he can make you sound good," Michael replies with a smirk.

I growl and glare at him, "I know what a sound engineer is. Also, I bet you couldn't name a single person who auditioned who you would have preferred."

"Any guy who auditioned was twice as good as you at least," he snapped.

"That's not a name."

"Who cares? I don't get why Clarke thought you were such a big deal. You have a basic voice."

"Really? I doubt you're any better."

He scoffs and looks me right in the eyes, "At least I'm not a waitress."

I growl, "I'm proud to work at my sister's café so how about you-"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"

My eyes dart to Jacob's direction and I see him glaring at the both of us.

"Both of you come with me, NOW."

Michael mumbles something under his breath and Jacob glares at him before grabbing the two of us by the arm and dragging us out of the living room and into some random room, closing the door behind him.

"Both of you are going to stay here until you can figure out how to deal with each other. I don't care how long it takes."

I roll my eyes and sit down in a chair by the wooden desk behind me, "Whatever."

He leaves the room and I hear it lock and I just look at the idiot across from me, "Well?"

"What?" he asks as he looks back at me with the same scowl I had seen at the café when he booked auditions.

"How are we going to get out of this? Are you going to apologize?"

He laughs and leans against the wall, "Yeah right. How about we just act like we're getting along by staying quiet and on our phones and they'll let us out eventually."

Before I can even reply, Noah comes in, snatches our phones from our hands, and runs back out as quickly as he came in, locking the door behind him.

I jump from the seat and I bang on the door, "NOAH BRING THAT BACK!"

I keep yelling and hitting the door but eventually, give up since it's pointless and then sit back down in the chair.

It's silent for a while. We just sit there. Not talking. Not doing anything.

But I have always hated silence.

"Is me being a girl really the only reason why you hate me being the lead? Cause that is incredibly sexist."

He scoffs, "No it's because you're awful."

I roll my eyes, "We both know you're lying every time you say that. I watched the four of you guys during every audition, you weren't impressed with any of the other people auditioning. But at the beginning of my audition right when I started singing your scowl disappeared for a moment. Sure, it wasn't for very long, but you were impressed. So stop lying and tell me the truth. Is me being a girl the only reason you don't like me as the lead?"

He groans and sits on the bed on the other side of the room, "No."

I spin the chair around so I'm looking at him, "Then what is it?"

"You already know half of it. I'm mad that Cole left and took the deal, I also have smaller things, like how you have a backup plan in case anything goes wrong. I overheard you talking about how you wanted to open your own restaurant, I, on the other hand, have nothing planned, so if this whole band thing fails, I have nothing."

I look him over and I realize he is telling the truth, I decide not to say anything and just sit there and nod.

We sit there in silence for a little while and I am about to break it when Hair Gel does instead.

"Just wondering, do you like anyone in the group?"

I can feel my ears heat up, "What?"

He laughs, "Since I have my answer, here's a second one, who do you like?"

I roll my eyes and pull myself together, "I don't like any of you people."

"Oh c' mon, you're in a group with four attractive males. You've got to have a crush on one of us. So who is it? Noah? Will? Jacob? Or the best of them all, me?"

I laugh and shake my head, "Oh please, you wish I had a crush on you. As I said, I don't like any of you, and I don't have to."

He smirks and shrugs, "Alright then. You tell me when that changes."