9•Garba

Jiddah's POV

   I don't know the exact reason why I'm crying, I have thousands reasons to cry, luck has never been on my side. The event that happened yesterday and what the TBA said crushed my heart into pieces.

     She said I'm pregnant,the woman said I'm pregnant, my life is ruined completely, no more school, the only hope I have is now gone.

   My life is ruined now, I'm tired of crying, so there is a Baby in me, does that mean I'm carrying a child that is hated by all, a child the society will never accept, Ya Allah please, I'm in pain heal me.

    I'm not ready to have a Baby, I'm too young for that, I can't even defend myself talk less of a Baby, what will be my fate if the village people know about this, they will identify me as a prostitute and mock me, this has left me with no dimension, where will I head to now, whose shoulder will I cry on.

   Even Inna whom I thought will tell Kawu how it happened, joined in beating me up, I'm the most sad person in this world. Now tell me, what should I cry for?, My parents Death, or the life I'm living in this house, or the situation Habibu had put me in, please tell me.

    What is the next thing to do now, even the school I've put my hope in, is now cancelled. Ya Allah please.

   The high fever is still there, the heart ache is still there too, and the poor soul is been left with nothing, even the tears is now gone, it's tired of flowing. Just like a miracle, hot tears began to flow freely, I rest my head on the ground, and cried silently.

   The disappointment I saw in Kawu's eyes is still hunting me, I'm not at fault but is hunting me.

   "Jiddah what happened?" He asked shocked, "I..kawuu" I cried, I was shocked and scared too. "Why are you even asking her, it must be that NYSC teacher that helped her during exams" I looked at Inna shocked and surprised, this woman is heartless, have pity on me Inna, just this time.

    "Jiddah who got you pregnant, that teacher?!!" He yelled giving me a kick, I was having high fever, I wasn't in my right sense.

   He took the engine belt beside him and began lashing it on my sick body.  That day I got beaten till I wasn't conscience anymore. All I know is that I woke up the next day with a sore body feeling feverish. I cried for more than an hour, Making my fever worst. I was also very hungry but who will give me food, I stayed indoors for the whole day.

    Later at night,Inna called me to her hut. "Sit down here" She ordered. I looked so pale and weak, one could tell from a single look that I may faint at any moment.

    "Don't try putting the blame on my Son fah Jiddah, it must be from another man, when I use to say you follow men your Uncle will shout at me and say you're a good girl, now see, the good girl has put him to shame, Habibu is not old enough to impregnate a woman, come to think of it, he did it just once!"

   I don't have any feelings left that you can hurt Inna but you saying I follow men and Habibu is too small, ya Allah, how can a mother behave like this, Inna is selfish and all she know is herself and her family but I'll make it, I'll survive this, Insha Allah.

   "Inna I'm hungry, please give me a little food" I pleaded. "I am not feeding an illegitimate pregnancy in my house!" came Kawu's furious voice.

   "Park your things you're living my house tomorrow morning!"
Both I and Inna looked at him shocked,. Could this be my punishment, kawu cannot pursue me out of this house, no, no, where will I go to. "Kawu please, Dan Allah Kawu" I cried.

   "Do you want me to forgive you?" He asked looking at the roof. "Yes Kawu" I sobbed. "Then you'll marry Alhaji Gambo" that came to me like the sound of a thunder.

  "Gambo..." I stammered. "Yes,  Gambo, Your uncle's friend" Inna added. They are just trying to ruin my life, this family is trying to ruin my life. Marry Gambo, he's older than Kawu, he has 4wives so how, pls how, he's children are older than me and they so much dislike me, he's a drunk, a gambler,and they doay I should marry him, someone old enough to be my father.

    "Either marry Gambo so you can make this pregnancy his, or you leave my house, I mean this entire village" he said and kicked me out of the hut.

   God please help me, please, I don't know what to do, I can't Marry Gambo, and I don't have anywhere else to go. I dragged myself to the hut and met Jumai already asleep. I layed on my mat, my eyes looking at the roof, I wasn't able to think straight, anything but marrying Garba, I can't Marry him, I sobbed seeing how my life has gotten worst than how it use to be, ya Allah see me through.

The Next Day

   I came to pass by and I heard Inna smiling and giggling, Kawu was counting some cash, "Take this, is for your adashe" he handed it to her. "Mai gida!, Mai gida!" she clapped in excitement. "Nagode fah, but what if she doesn't agree to marry him?" My eyes got wide and I hid behind the wooden door.

   "Who is she to turn me down?, does she have someone better than me or a place to go?, She will accept, wait and see, and if she doesn't she's living my house" he frowned.

   "Mai gida will you get more of this when she marries him?" Selfish Inna asked, tears were flowing freely from my eyes seeing the people I call family trading me for money, so Garba will give him more money if he marries me off to him, then what about my future?.

   I went back to the hut and saw Habibu there, "Thank you Jiddah, for not exposing me to Baba" he smiled sheepishly, he has the gut to show his face here, how shameless!. "Habibu God will punish you, your life will never be straight just like mine Insha Allah, you're wicked, Allah ya Isa bazan taba yafe mka ba Habibu, you ruined my already broken soul" I borke down in tears.

    "Hey! I didn't come here so you could put the blame on me, the owner of your pregnancy is that Teacher, now he has left, can you see your life" he laughed. "God will do justice, he's under control of everything" I sobbed.

   "Jiddah, ke jiddah!?" Kawu called, "Na'am" I cleaned the tears on my face and went out. "So what is your decision?" He asked, "Decision?" I asked, "you know what he's talking about, Yar durun uwa" Inna landed a knock on my head.

     "Wayyo!, Eh eh"I was already in the verge of tears. "So?" He looked very serious, one could tell Kawu is a good man from a single look, but deep  inside he's a monster. "I'm doing this for your sake, if the village people find out about this pregnancy, you're in trouble" he said.

   "I . I..." I stammered, "Yes or No?" Inna asked.
•••••••••••••

Good morning🌅🌄

Vote & comment❤️